• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Air Evaporator does not fit 1967 B Body AC box

Max440

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 Satellite A/C car. After much thought I decided to rebuild the heater AC box. All has gone well until I received Classic air's replacement Evaporator. It is allot different than the original. The drain pan is plastic where the original is metal. Classic's pan is mounted while the original is not. Anyway the new one will not fit in the air box. Upon inspection the replacement pan hits on the baffle coming out of the blower housing into the air box. The original pan is notched on the side where the drain tube are allowing clearance around this flange. In order to make this work i need to trim 1/2" or so off the flange in the heater box or trim the ABS pan (decreases how high the water in the pan can get before overflowing ino the car. Seems to make sense to trim the heater box. If I trim the Classic pan it is not returnable, if I take the pan off and try to refit the new Evaporator with the old drain pan then is not returnable - any suggestions?

Have you contacted a classic air Rep? Obviously they gave you they wrong part. If you have the old one still you could E-mail them pictures as a reference. Also what shape is the old one in? There are places that specialize in rebuilding them.
Some radiator repair shops will do it, that what I did with my evaporator

Have you contacted a classic air Rep? Obviously they gave you they wrong part. If you have the old one still you could E-mail them pictures as a reference. Also what shape is the old one in? There are places that specialize in rebuilding them.
Some radiator repair shops will do it, that what I did with my evaporator

No I did not contact them as I just got parts tonight - pretty disappointing for 300 bucks. I am putting all new parts in cause it is a stinker to get to and get it out - do not want to do it again for sure. I am gonna call them Monday

No I did not contact them as I just got parts tonight - pretty disappointing for 300 bucks. I am putting all new parts in cause it is a stinker to get to and get it out - do not want to do it again for sure. I am gonna call them Monday
The evaporator looks correct but this is a tight fit and 1/4 smaller would let it work. Or cut 1/2 inch off the blower box flange in the corner and it will fit i believe

The evaporator looks correct but this is a tight fit and 1/4 smaller would let it work. Or cut 1/2 inch off the blower box flange in the corner and it will fit i believe

We decided to cut blower flange - it worked to a point but will not sit low enough in the heater box. It comes down the drain pan from classice air is too big - stock pan fits fine. i was thinking of switching drain pans but the replacement evaporator does not have the same mounting points as the stock pan has. Anyone having this much trouble with a replacement part ? Any suggestions?

We decided to cut blower flange - it worked to a point but will not sit low enough in the heater box. It comes down the drain pan from classice air is too big - stock pan fits fine. i was thinking of switching drain pans but the replacement evaporator does not have the same mounting points as the stock pan has. Anyone having this much trouble with a replacement part ? Any suggestions?

Well decided to take pan off the Classics evaporator and get the original to work as no way will the classic pan fit in the ac box. I had to modify the two tabs in the origional pan ( bent them flat) then redrill two holes to get the classic evaporator clips to line up. Anyway it worked and slid right in the ac box.

Well decided to take pan off the Classics evaporator and get the original to work as no way will the classic pan fit in the ac box. I had to modify the two tabs in the origional pan ( bent them flat) then redrill two holes to get the classic evaporator clips to line up. Anyway it worked and slid right in the ac box.
Can I ask a related question? I have to remove my hvac case from my 67 gtx, does it come out from under the dash or does the whole dash have to be removed?

do not have to remove dash - if you remove dash you gotta pull the windshield too

Auto Transport Service
Back