• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Industries Indash Tach needle bounces

JohnEngland

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a in dash tach from classic industries for my 1973 charger. The tach needle bounces every so often. Hard to describe but when driving the needle drops or bounces and then corrects it self. Anyone ever have this happen. I have a R/T garage box (rev n nator box) and a firecore electronic distributor, a mopar performance chrome coil. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is very annoying when driving the car. Thanks

Are you able to test out by running a piece of 'screened' single core wire from the coil to the tachometer. Ground the screen from the wire at one end (probably under dash). You may be getting spikes of electrical interference on the tachometer feed, and causing the needle to bounce.

I had the same thing happen with an electronic speedometer a few years ago. I just ran screened cable and the problem went away. This was a result of the owner wanting all wiring concealed, and entering the firewall via a small trunking - HT and all lighting /control etc)

The spikes will be coming from running parallel to the spark plug and HT leads.

I believe that is what he is telling you. I had that same issue when I ran my electric fan within the same loom with other wires. The tach began hopping. Moved the fan wires, tach settled back to normal.

Excuse my ignorance...whats screened wire?
Screened wire - shielded...
I0236337166.jpg

You may need to buy a twin (two-core) screened Instrument cable - if no automotive singles are available.
Some cables have a screen as well as a drain wire, the foil is the screen, and the drain is the tinned bare conductor which connects to the ground (earth point)
TV Co-axial cable is an example of screened cable.

also the wire goes from the tachometer through the fire wall along the fire wall to the electronic ignition box it does not go across the motor

Auto Transport Service
Back