• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column Shift question

383MovingViolation

Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
The column shift in my Roadrunner seems very sloppy in the column itself, everything in the engine bay to the trans appears to be tight. The shift indicator will move 1/8th to maybe 1/4" between the marks on the indicator, P-N-D-2-1 My question is, would it be a nightmare to get into the column the try to fix this ? Sometimes when I shift manually from first, second and to drive, going through the gears, it's very sloppy and hard to get positive shifts. Any advice, or should I just live with it ? Thanks

check these plastic parts, check the pieces I have circled in yellow on a column shift car, they usually have alot wear in them after years of use.

View attachment 492220

10_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Well I did check all of those and they are all good. All the movement seems to be coming from the shift lever or whatever is inside the steering column and I don't believe I want to take that all apart. Thanks

The column shift in my Roadrunner seems very sloppy in the column itself, everything in the engine bay to the trans appears to be tight. The shift indicator will move 1/8th to maybe 1/4" between the marks on the indicator, P-N-D-2-1 My question is, would it be a nightmare to get into the column the try to fix this ? Sometimes when I shift manually from first, second and to drive, going through the gears, it's very sloppy and hard to get positive shifts. Any advice, or should I just live with it ? Thanks

Try the Cheetah valve body. Reverse shift pattern. P R N 1 2 D. Works very nice you can take off in 2 and upshift to D. You only need 1 for fast getaways.

How difficult is it to remove the two encasements, between the dash and the steering wheel ? The one with the gear indicator and the other piece on a shift column car. If you wanted to paint them.

Auto Transport Service
Back