• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Can for Fuel

PurpleBeeper

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I’ve fought vapor lock for years. I want to add a “cool can” for the fuel line. Any recommendations? Anyone have one they’d like to sell? THANKS!

Maybe re-route your fuel line outside passengers frame rail? You must not want to run an electric pump.

Maybe re-route your fuel line outside passengers frame rail? You must not want to run an electric pump.
I’m running a Holley blue. I have a clear fuel filter and I can see gas boiling. I’ve insulated the fuel lines in the engine compartment and plan to wrap at least one passenger header pipe

How are you going to cool the Kool Can? Ice only lasts so long? :BangHead: :lol:

I’ve fought vapor lock for years. I want to add a “cool can” for the fuel line. Any recommendations? Anyone have one they’d like to sell? THANKS!
You might have vapor lock but I doubt it. I would be looking at and double checking everything.

Wow, do those things still exist ?!?!?
Lol, why they sure can! Still have mine from the late '70s. They can live a loooooong time on the old shelf.......:lol:

1712065137119.png

You have a blue pump and you see fuel percolating ? Something is wrong. What is your pressure ? Do you have a regulator/gauge setup before the carb ?

Could be the fuel is dead heading at the regulator, a return line recirculating your fuel would probably help with the percolating/heat issue.

You might have vapor lock but I doubt it. I would be looking at and double checking everything.
Well, I can see gas boiling inside the clear fuel filter (just before carburetors) and my mechanical fuel pressure gauge acts weird sometimes (drops to 3 psi or up to 12 psi) and the car will stop running like it’s out of gas. Cooled off, starts right up

You have a blue pump and you see fuel percolating ? Something is wrong. What is your pressure ? Do you have a regulator/gauge setup before the carb ?
Yes. Regulator with pressure set at 5-1/2 psi & mechanical fuel pressure gauge.

Could be the fuel is dead heading at the regulator, a return line recirculating your fuel would probably help with the percolating/heat issue.
Yes, the fuel dead heads at the regulator & I don’t have a return line installed. I have considered adding a fuel filter with a “vent nipple” to run back to the tank through the normal fuel line (i have a sump welded to my stock fuel tank with 2 outlets, so my factory outlet by the sending unit is capped off)

Well, I can see gas boiling inside the clear fuel filter (just before carburetors) and my mechanical fuel pressure gauge acts weird sometimes (drops to 3 psi or up to 12 psi) and the car will stop running like it’s out of gas. Cooled off, starts right up
Where is the pump located ? Where is the reg/gauge located ?

Route the fuel line away from the motor (heat source) and wrap the line in thermosleeve.

Also, Thermosleeve from body hardline down frame rail next to motor.

Never had issue with this motor in past 13 years. I drive in so cal 90+ degree heat.

23C7D56B-9EA5-4758-97E7-2BDD00819A58.jpeg

6514695-2_25_11Sm21 (1).jpg

Last edited:
On engine masters they did a show about this issue for cooling fuel. They tried everything and the one thing they used and worked the best was a small trans cooler they piped in the fuel line and it did better than anything else they tried. DF even put a small fan on it and it worked great. Even better than a cool can with dry ice because it's maintenance free.

It would be good if you could show us your plumbing.

Also, pumps don’t last forever

Where is the pump located ? Where is the reg/gauge located ?
Pump over differential. Regulator on passenger inner fender. One passenger header pipe runs horizontally there & I plan to wrap it

Auto Transport Service
Back