• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool cars at the US Nationals

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
There were some really cool old Mopar race cars at the Nationals this year. But the coolest had to be the the wrap that Capps had on his car dedicated to the Snake from 50 yrs ago. Prudhomme was there for the race in the pits and on the starting line every time Capps ran. If I had a new yellow challenger I would see if I could put that on it for sure.

20230904_104000.jpg

Then after the race was over they had the old Mopar race cars drive down the return lane which was cool.

20230904_143700.jpg

20230904_143708.jpg

Check out the wheelbase on this one.
20230904_143714.jpg

20230904_143721.jpg

I love Capps tribute, but I can’t get over it being a Toyota. But I definitely would like to see old school livery on these new racers, instead of every sticker known to man plastered all over

The whole 68' Hemi (BO29/LO23) Challenge 'field' was awesome...
Running deep into the low 8's & 160, with 431-450cids
Real NHRA S/S, not with near or over 600cid combos

The whole 68' Hemi (BO29/LO23) Challenge 'field' was awesome...
Running deep into the low 8's & 160, with 431-450cids
Real NHRA S/S, not with near or over 600cid combos
What's with the 450cids ?
Pretty hefty overbore

Not familiar with Capps. But a quick google search and it sounds like NHRA and top fuel drags? While that is be intriguing, the stock and street classes were the ones that we would often attend when I was younger. As spectators of course. That's the place I fell in love with '68 & '69 RR's. One track we'd frequent, those were the regular wheel standers. And as a 6 or 7 year old, they got my attention right away.
A pipe dream of mine is take a car down the 1/4 one day...we'll see.

I grew up less than 2 hrs from Indy but never got there until I was working after college, but had been racing ever since high school. Me and a buddy built a car right after high school and raced all over southern IN & IL. There were 1/8 mile tracks everywhere so that's what we raced. Built our first car from scratch. Took the frame from under a 62 chebby and shortened it about 3' and put a corvair body on it. We cut the back end off right behind the back tires and called it Shortcut. Small block chebby with a four speed and 12 bolt rear with 4:10 gears it ran okay for back then.

Auto Transport Service
Back