• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper spray or not on the steel shim head gasket?

RRSweden

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
The engine shop considered my deck as good to go, and my heads are milled. I'm going to use the 0.020 steel shim gasket. Would you use copper spray or not? I've heard arguments both ways..

It won't hurt it. I like using it, helps with any imperfections on either surface. I just spray both sides of the gasket and let it tack up.

Back when I used the shim type gaskets I used it without problems. this build I used felpro though.

The first ones I did they told me not to use it and i had a coolant leak to the outside.
I got new gaskets and used copper coat no leaks now I use it on all steel gasket even Cometic gaskets with no problems.

I still use steel shim head gaskets and I always use copper spray. I've never had a problem ever.

The engine shop considered my deck as good to go, and my heads are milled. I'm going to use the 0.020 steel shim gasket. Would you use copper spray or not? I've heard arguments both ways..

If the deck is clean and burr free and the heads are milled, you really shouldn't need it.
But if it makes you feel more confident about sealing the gaskets go for it. What does the machine shop that did your heads recommend, and what does the gasket manufacturer have to say as far as product warranty? Good head gaskets aren't cheap.

If the deck is clean and burr free and the heads are milled, you really shouldn't need it.
But if it makes you feel more confident about sealing the gaskets go for it. What does the machine shop that did your heads recommend, and what does the gasket manufacturer have to say as far as product warranty? Good head gaskets aren't cheap and even more so expensive when their flawed and it's coming out of your pocket the second time.

I used the copper coat by Permatex on the .020" steel shim gaskets with iron heads, and most recently with aluminum heads. Never had a problem. Torque to 40 ft lbs, then 55, then final at 70. I used to use aluminum spray paint on them. Always sealed up good. Even at 13 to 1 C/Ratio, no leaks of any kind.

The first ones I did they told me not to use it and i had a coolant leak to the outside.
I got new gaskets and used copper coat no leaks now I use it on all steel gasket even Cometic gaskets with no problems.
NEVER use ANY sealer on Cometic head gaskets. If you have not had any problems, you are lucky, period.

I have used both K&W and Permatex. Both are great.

Do not put more coats of " copper Coat" on than what is neccessary. It will squeeze out in places where you do not want it...Extra coats will not help seal...........................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back