• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct finish for master cylinder cap ?

Steverino

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
69 road runner
manual drum
should the cap be yellow/gold zinc ?

thanks

Mine is 69 manual drum and it was originally silver zinc. I have seen other cars in 69 with the same setup and they too were silver zinc...

The gold cad looks better but finishes get convoluted when looks are factored in versus originality....

My '69 looks like gold to me. Manual drum. This is the best picture I have.
Road Runner 2   383 Motor.JPG

Last edited:
CBCC0401 Champagne Pearl... if you don't wanna pay the plater. Natural on the clamp (coated in RPM). I've seen a lot of gold plate on the old rectangle and silver on the rounded front masters. :rolleyes:

beerestoration2017 1327.JPG

CBCC0401 Champagne Pearl... if you don't wanna pay the plater. Natural on the clamp (coated in RPM). I've seen a lot of gold plate on the old rectangle and silver on the rounded front masters. :rolleyes:

View attachment 570808
Power brakes vs manual brakes......

The power brake drum I have seen only gold cad cyanide, which is the original finish used.....plus your booster is supposed to be the same and not black btw....

Manual drum I have only seen clear/silver zinc...

Only relating to 69 only...

The other post above with all the aftermarket parts tells me the MC has been replaced.....original tops have a key feature that aftermarket tops do not have and that is two very tiny holes......

Okay, but on mine the master (with vacuum booster) is the same master that is used with straight manuals, is it not? Why would they use a different lid?

Okay, but on mine the master (with vacuum booster) is the same master that is used with straight manuals, is it not? Why would they use a different lid?
We are talking about assembly line parts versus otc nos etc parts....

This is were things get lost you have to do research on parts that came on the car originally....it is very hard to find an original MC on a car with the original top plate.....these things get replaced with otc Mopar parts that are NOT the same as assembly line parts in most cases....

Again all the true original plates I have seen for 1969 manual drum were silver zinc.......I am not the only 69 OE car that has it this way and it has been researched by many notable people......

Finding an original MC in a junk pile(mc is dated btw) or what one thinks is original on a car significantly meddled with does not define correctness.....

Mine is 69 manual drum and it was originally silver zinc. I have seen other cars in 69 with the same setup and they too were silver zinc...

The gold cad looks better but finishes get convoluted when looks are factored in versus originality....

yes, makes sense
I like the look of the gold , but was thinking of replacing it anyway, and seems like I can get either color as wagners brand seems to come with gold caps

thanks again for the info !

The other post above with all the aftermarket parts tells me the MC has been replaced.....original tops have a key feature that aftermarket tops do not have and that is two very tiny holes......
The MC was replaced, but the original cover was used.

To resolve some further confusion I have, can you guys help me figure out which style cap my 69 manual drum master cylinder would/should have ?

I have one that's flat with one bolt, no clamp
I've seen others with two round "humps" and a clamp that covers them with the bolt in the center ?

I'm thinking one may be for power brakes ?

Thanks again !

To resolve some further confusion I have, can you guys help me figure out which style cap my 69 manual drum master cylinder would/should have ?

I have one that's flat with one bolt, no clamp
I've seen others with two round "humps" and a clamp that covers them with the bolt in the center ?

I'm thinking one may be for power brakes ?

Thanks again !
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...y-father-my-69-gtx-restoration.127388/page-15

Link above shows the correct assembly line piece, hardware and finish.....

Yup, mine ('69 manual drum -post #3) looks just like Marpar's above. .

Standby, I'll go out, uncover it and get a picture for you.

EDIT: to add photo

IMG_2264.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW...my 68 GTX, Manual drums.

View attachment 574058
Mario....Keep in mind I am only talking about the finishes for 1969....not 68....for a manual drum setup...

Below is a picture of a 100% OE restoration......69 Daytona....I have many other pics at home and this is a fine example.....Furthermore, I think this question also came up in that build thread and was debunked...

10035VC.JPG

Mario....Keep in mind I am only talking about the finishes for 1969....not 68....for a manual drum setup...

Below is a picture of a 100% OE restoration......69 Daytona....I have many other pics at home and this is a fine example.....Furthermore, I think this question also came up in that build thread and was debunked...

View attachment 574083

What would the finish be for a 68, J?

Auto Transport Service
Back