• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counting Cars 383 rebuiild and horse power

I wish you all could meet in one place and hold classes. I'd sign up and bring coffee. I've learned more on these threads than from 30 years of reading magazines on the topic.

and you know why? because magazines always have somebody's agenda to push. They always have sponsors to sell stuff for.

- - - Updated - - -

Generally, it is not in reference to the compression ratio changing,

If you ever heard some of these Georgia rednecks talkin about it, you'd swear it was. lol

I am 58 this is where I get adult supervision. And I want to Thank you all !!!!

Still it is a parts matching game. It all depends at what rpms the power is being made at. I like the 383 because it tends to be less of a fuel hog and run higher rpms. I have yet to buy into the aluminum head game but have spent a decent amount of money on good iron heads.
The big problem with old iron though is finding someone that know what to do with them. It was not that big a issue 40 years ago. But then aluminum was real expensive and head gaskets where not what they are now.
I have seen some impressive numbers though with close to normal rod length and standard crank stroke just by adding a good set of hemi heads and a good set of pistons. A combination not discussed much any more but it did work.

Another thing you have to keep in mind - all things being equal when you switch to aluminum heads you need to go up 1 point in CR to make the same power.
B.S. We all keep repeating this old mechanics tale. This not true!

Crap...old thread......I already answered this.........

Last edited:
I think with smart parts choices the 383 could see 425 or so HP. More if you're willing to raise compression and run race gas. They can make basically the same power as a 440, but they do it at higher RPM.
So true. We've made 525 HP with an 8:1 compression 383. Pulled the engine out of a scrap pile and cut some valve reliefs in the tops of the stock pistons with a die grinder while they were still in the short block (uh, we don't do that any more, but it was interesting that one time). Heads, cam, intake, carburetor and rpm = 525HP.

Okay, forget me. I'll look for new threads to read.

Auto Transport Service
Back