• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cowel rust

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
My mechanic tells me that to fix the rust holes on either side of my cowl it would be necessary to remove both front fenders, the windshield, the cowl, and both front doors. Does this sound right?

Sadly, he is correct. So….it’s decision time. How bad is the rust? How good do you need it to be once complete? How much will it cost? What is the car worth to you?

IMG_20240310_111149.jpg
IMG_20240310_111041.jpg

IMG_20240310_111128.jpg

Remember, pin holes can be fixed by blasting the immediate area and soldering the holes shut.
Then sand the lumps out and epoxy prime. It just has to be cleaned and tinned for the solder
to stick.

IMO........ If you love the car, and it's your desire to fix it correctly, and you can do the work yourself preferably, go ahead and fix it.
But I agree with what most of your body man said. It will require his procedures for a well done job. If it were me, I would unbolt the dash from the cowl, at the base of windshield, and lay the dash on the front seat. You also have to remember that all of these vulnerable areas need to be protected from Welding sparks, etc. You will also need to pull the hood off, to access the front edge of the cowl, to drill all spotwelds off. Many things to remove, windshield, all the outside window moldings, and other pieces. IMO, on these 63 Dodges, why can't/hasn't AMD been reproducing these complete end to end cowl tops? I guess it would be to hard of a job to get it done! IDK. Your car looks nice in the first photo, so I do hope you fix it, but it's your call. I could fix it myself....... just ask member hunt2elk, he knows I have the skills to do it right. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!

Remember - rust is like an iceberg......you can only see about 10% of it on the surface.

Looks like you're going digging if you want to keep that car. :thumbsup:

Also, there is an inner cowl which will need repair also. Complete disassembly for sure...

IMO........ If you love the car, and it's your desire to fix it correctly, and you can do the work yourself preferably, go ahead and fix it.
But I agree with what most of your body man said. It will require his procedures for a well done job. If it were me, I would unbolt the dash from the cowl, at the base of windshield, and lay the dash on the front seat. You also have to remember that all of these vulnerable areas need to be protected from Welding sparks, etc. You will also need to pull the hood off, to access the front edge of the cowl, to drill all spotwelds off. Many things to remove, windshield, all the outside window moldings, and other pieces. IMO, on these 63 Dodges, why can't/hasn't AMD been reproducing these complete end to end cowl tops? I guess it would be to hard of a job to get it done! IDK. Your car looks nice in the first photo, so I do hope you fix it, but it's your call. I could fix it myself....... just ask member hunt2elk, he knows I have the skills to do it right. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!
What would you ballpark the cost at?

Just fixing what you see may cost thousands.

Just fixing what is in the pictures the right way would be a huge project costing 1000s. If there are rust holes that big in the cowl, I would be amazed if there aren't serious rust issues elsewhere. As somebody already posted, rust is like an iceberg. You only see the tip. I would say your options are full resto, half-*** temporary patch job, or live with it as is. Fixing just that one spot the right way doesn't make sense to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back