• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COWL

c.moo

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Have 63 plymouth bev . I notice there is surface rust inside cowl. Whats the best way of removing the rust without cutting it open. Thanks

Might spray an obnoxious amount of rust converter in it through every hole you can find.

That's a good one.

I went through the hole in the center of the firewall, useing a piece of wire, a long round wire brush that I adapted to a flexible cable. Went through the louvers with the same. I also opened the doors and went through the opening at the top. I adapted a 1/2" diameter hose to the shop vac, blew it out with a long nozzle air tool. A lot of the debris will end up down below, behind where the lower fender bolts also. (Passenger side) There is a rubber flap just like on the firewall for a drain there, or you can reach down in there through the fresh air intake under the dash.

After cleaning it all up, I used the eastwood rust incapsulator, aerosol with a long straw, spraying through the louvers. I like the product, just a little difficult to get it where you want it. Painted single stage paint over it with no problems.

Used a bore type of camera for inspection
160811_172948.jpg

I taped up the louvers and after useing the rust incapsulator, within the next couple of days I painted the engine compartment and sprayed down through the louvers at the same time.
20170119_125854.jpg
20170119_130518.jpg

Have fun!

A '63 with surface rust ... if it hasn't rotted through by now I'd wouldn't dick around with it. My guess is its never going to see harsh weather again to encourage the rust. If anything I would just spray it with Rustcheck or maybe Eastwood's rust encapsulator. I wouldn't scrape it, wire brush it or anything like that.

Under the cowl plate, is a common area for bad rust, mostly at the driver's side end, for 62-65s B-bodies.
Mine was bad enough, I pulled the entire plate. Had to repair rusted out area.

Hopefully nothing rusted through. That was the start of a 2 year adventure on mine!
Rust check or a converter like ospho but then it will need to be flushed with water i think and then painted ot protected with some other coating.

I don't think Ospho needs to be rinsed.

Drivers side got a repair patch.Passenger side on the vertical side is shitty,and I'm no show Queen,LOL

6.13.17 019.jpg 6.13.17 020.jpg 6.13.17 021.jpg 6.13.17 022.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back