• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar wheels. Lesson learned

mn1017

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
Just installed new Cragar SS wheels on my 65 Satellite with drum brakes.
First time I drove it, I had a nasty pulsation when I stepped on the brakes. The weights on the drums were touching the rim. Ground off about 3/16 from the weight. Problem solved.

Anytime non-stock wheels and/or tires are installed, several checks must be made. Interference with brake & suspension parts, body parts by turning lock-to-lock and jounce/rebound. Sometimes, a combo just doesn't work.

Anytime non-stock wheels and/or tires are installed, several checks must be made. Interference with brake & suspension parts, body parts by turning lock-to-lock and jounce/rebound. Sometimes, a combo just doesn't work.
Yep usually it's something baking and grinding on the upper balljoint area

I believe he's talking about the spot welded on balance weights that may be taller than the drum causing the Cragar spoke to not sit flush to the hub/drum assembly.......

1689874606117.png
1689874761705.png

Also it's a good thing to torque the lugs again after a drive. Always had them loosen up especially Cragar SS. They'll stay tight after that.

Same issue with my 66 Dart. It's hard to believe a machined drum can be that off balance to require a 5+inch long balance weight. I drilled mine out and knocked them off, installed whe wheels and cruised on.
@toolmanmike What brand of wheels are on that Dart?

Also it's a good thing to torque the lugs again after a drive. Always had them loosen up especially Cragar SS. They'll stay tight after that.
I have just put on new tires and rims Khrysler kid so yer info is good to know and do..
Thank you for that .

Why not just use a spacer instead of knocking the weight off ? Doesn’t that weight hood balance or something ?

Auto Transport Service
Back