• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious ladder bar '68 satellite

Campbell

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I'm starting to get more comfortable with the car. Can anyone identify this ladder bar setup?
I ask because, the right rear radial is slightly rubbing on the fender. If I can do a front torsion bar adjustment to get the space to launch the car without tire rub, I won't mess with it.
Eventually, as you can see, the crust and rust will drive me crazy and I will tear it all apart, clean and refurbish it. Guys are telling me cal-trac is the way to go. At this point, I wouldn't know any different. I just don't want to end up in the corn field.

IMG_20170828_183446825.jpg

Last edited:
I can't personally tell much from that single photo, but adjustable shocks can help with your launch issues. Just Stiffen up the passenger side until it doesn't rub anymore

Might be an older version
{of the heim joints or eyelets on both ends of the adjusters}
Chris Alston Chassisworks adj. Ladders

not the bars shown in this Chassisworks informational/tech deal
http://www.cachassisworks.com/stories/techcac-003_web.pdf

Baseline suspensions
http://www.baselinesuspension.com/info/Launching_A_Drag_Car.htm

not sure why the damn links don't work
I copied them off the pages I have stored...
seems to happen a lot lately :BangHead:

------------------------------------------------

IMO ladder bars & coil overs are better than
CalTrac's {made for leaf springs cars, to fit a specific rules restraints}
shocks are a big part of it too
Don't get me wrong CalTracs can work great
on the correct set up...

& your rear end, is it centered properly ?
does it have diagonal bar/track locator/panhard, or a watts linkage ?
I can't tell by them photos if you even have one, or which...

not sure I understand this part, but;
I doubt a "front torsion bar adjustment"
will do much in the way of keeping the right rear from rubbing

a stiffer rear shock setting on the side that's rubbing may help some,
so would a decent anti-roll bar, keeping it from torqueing over
to the passenger side so much...

good luck

Last edited:
Yes, an adjustable ladder bar, Alston, Comp Engineering, others. Front T bar has nothing to do with things. As said check your centering of the axle & be sure the centering device (whichever it is) is functioning properly. Stiffening the right shock would help. The adjustable parts at the rear of the ladder bar adjust the pre-load so the car launches straight. Changing the shock may require adjusting the pre-load.

Depending on the age of that setup you would be advised to pull a few heim joints and check these. Especially if it has been street driven. I have a a frightening time with those all metal joints on the street. Dave

Also, do you have the leaf spring sliders where the spring attaches to the spring? They are used to prevent binding the suspension, since the leaf spring, and the ladder bar move in different arcs.

Auto Transport Service
Back