• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dad left me a 66 belvedere 2 need help on where to start

TGill

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
has a 340 engine was originally a 383 my main question is what transmission will i have to use bc i dont have one i know a 727 but what yr 727 any help would be appreciated thanks

you will need a transmission with a small block bell housing. 727's are a bit harder to find. The most likely place to find one is a pickup truck 66-80 I think maybe somewhat later. You could also go with a built 904 they are lighter and more plentiful and can handle the job if done right. I actually broke a 727 in my 66 Satellite with a 340 and threw in a stock 904 and it worked fine for several years.

thanks next question can i attempt to start the car without the tranny?

There are several aftermarket comp's the offer bellhousings, so thats an option if you get a BB bellhoused 727.
Have you considered going back to a big block?
Reason I ask is because sometimes its easier to pick up a complete motor/tranny.

would it be easy to swap a bb would i just have to change mounts only maybe i can get the vin an someone can tell me we car had factory bc the emblem on the hood says 383 ran #'s on block an says 340

would it be easy to swap a bb would i just have to change mounts only maybe i can get the vin an someone can tell me we car had factory bc the emblem on the hood says 383 ran #'s on block an says 340
if you go to a big block, you could either trade straight across,(340toBB) or sell the 340 and then buy the big block. BB should bolt slip right in. what year 340 is it? could be worth some $$$

im not sure the exact year its supposed to be blueprinted an balanced but its been settim for about 3 yrs i know the guy son who built it let me see if i canter post some pics when i get off work i found a low mileage 727 that came off a bb 440 that was in a new yorker is it worth getting ?

the new yorker is a 74 so its not a high hp motor buts it was elderly owned

The 440 will work fine, Gives you a chance to build just what you want. You can make the decisions of what goes in the motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back