• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 build ?

Bbodydodge

Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score
Anyone running a Dana 60 in a
1962 to 1965
B Body
What posi unit are you running trac lok or true trac ?
Gear set up, axle brand, spline count.

I have a DANA 60 but for my current 63 Polara Maxie build I'm actually thinking about a Ford 9"

Dana 60 4:10 with power loc in my 64 Dodge out of a 68-B, works like a champeen. Glad I was able to find a stock original and a 18 spline 4-sp as well. I would recommend the D-60 depending on what you are doing and if you really need that kind of strength. like super bee said, ford 9" looks damn good as the 60's can be pricey and there are ALOT of options with the 9"and if I ever need another I will prob go with the ford unless a good 60 is staring in the face at a good price. Oh, mine is factory 29 spline. great dana info at therangerstation.com-tech_library-pdf has every application or use of this diff as well as factory specs.

Awesome feedback and replies. ford 9" in a Mopar?
Was thinking that was taboo lol
New post? Lol
( Power ratings )
Ford 9"
Dana 60
8 3/4 up grade 33 spline

I worked with Cass at Dr. Diff.
Strange S60 with Strange axles and 4.30 in a locker.
Custom width since springs are moved in.
rear1.JPG

Awesome feedback and replies. ford 9" in a Mopar?
Was thinking that was taboo lol
New post? Lol
( Power ratings )
Ford 9"
Dana 60
8 3/4 up grade 33 spline

You know,
For RACING I have heard the Ford 9" was a great option.
Building up another Dana is pricey
Mine is for a 70 B-body and I do not wish to cut it up to size it for the 63 Polara

My "Bud" has a RACE prepped 8 3/4 built for him by Dr. Diff

Currie has all 3 set-ups available

But the DANA is so big and heavy

I think it is

What's next? Swap your poly for a Cleveland as there are more choices and less $$ for go fast parts..

For Dana or 8.75 speak to Cass at DrDiff.

Okay
I get it
Knock the guy with an "Out of the box" idea....
Ha Ha...

What I do not get:
You put Edelbrock on your Mopar Engine though....

So Frank, am I wrong to have Hansen Stage V heads on my 1970 "426" Hemi?

Sadly to inform you but I'm NOT the first to suggest a Ford 9" rear-end in a mopar for racing...

Any idiot that tells me it's taboo to put a Ford 9" in a Mopar set up for racing is certainly mis-informed
Heck FORD owns Cummins

Last edited:
Okay
I get it
Ha Ha...

I don't get it...
You put Edelbrock engine your though....

Sadly to inform you but I'm NOT the first to suggest a Ford 9" rear-end in a mopar for racing...

Any idiot that tells me it's taboo to put a Ford 9" in a Mopar set up for racing is certainly mis-informed
Heck FORD owns Cummins

For the guys that RACE and do not wish to spend a fortune on the DANA:
Currie:

0006629_9-performance-rearends_370.jpg

0009884_dana-60-custom-rearends_370.jpg

Okay
I get it
Ha Ha...

What I do not get:
You put Edelbrock on your Mopar Engine though....

So Frank, am I wrong to have Hansen Stage V heads on my 1970 "426" Hemi?

Heck FORD owns Cummins
At one point and time Ford owned a small share of Cummins, 10%%.... it was sold off long ago and I don't think they ever got back involved with cummins.

Junkyard Dana 60's in a 62 and 64. Both came out of Ford trucks with 8 lug full floaters. Cut the ends off, narrowed them, and installed new ends. Both have spools. 62 is running the junkyard 3.55, 35 spline axles. The 64 was running 4.10. After 425 passes it bent the teeth. Everything else was perfect. Now has a 4.30. Both were street gears. 62 is driven on the street and uses a trans brake. 64 is foot brake. 64 has been 1.24, 9.04@148. 62 has been 1.38, 9.55@142
Doug

Scott at Quaker.jpg 64 in D gas trim.jpg

I have a stock 68 b body rear in my rr with stock 23 spline axels. I'm sure the trac lock could use a freshen though, it didn't look like it received any maintenance in its 49 years of use. We just put new bearings in it and slammed it in the roadrunner.

IMG_0507.JPG

Junkyard Dana 60's in a 62 and 64. Both came out of Ford trucks with 8 lug full floaters. Cut the ends off, narrowed them, and installed new ends. Both have spools. 62 is running the junkyard 3.55, 35 spline axles. The 64 was running 4.10. After 425 passes it bent the teeth. Everything else was perfect. Now has a 4.30. Both were street gears. 62 is driven on the street and uses a trans brake. 64 is foot brake. 64 has been 1.24, 9.04@148. 62 has been 1.38, 9.55@142
Doug

View attachment 440663 View attachment 440664

Nice dvw!
Great idea, had forgotten about the Ford trucks
My Bud took one off and put it in his Jeep

I have a stock 68 b body rear in my rr with stock 23 spline axels. I'm sure the trac lock could use a freshen though, it didn't look like it received any maintenance in its 49 years of use. We just put new bearings in it and slammed it in the roadrunner.

View attachment 440697

All those years and it is still holding up!
Great post!

Guys the taboo about the 9" in a dodge was just messing around did you guys see the lol
Come on easy... We all love our cars
So if I offended anyone not me intention .
I know the 9" is still one of the baddest rear ever made.
Dana 60 is bad to, I know
Very nice cars and stories .

What is taboo to one is an "outside the box" idea to another, and that's cool. I just would never put a Ford diff in a Chrysler street car as it just feels/sounds wrong. It jars me when I see it and I can't help how I feel. Anybody else can feel however they feel and I don't disagree with them, it's OK with me.

Ford 9" is a mighty fine diff, probably the pseudo "industry standard".

8.75 is a mighty fine diff too. Sure you need a Dana? What HP and traction are you dealing with? They are very heavy and more expensive, but undeniably strong and look the business...

Anyone running a Dana 60 in a
1962 to 1965
B Body
What posi unit are you running trac lok or true trac ?
Gear set up, axle brand, spline count.
A 9 inch in stock form is not as good as a dana 60 if 9 inch built rite would cost more.

I did the same as dvw. We bought a full floater Dana truck axle from a Dodge pickup with 4.10 gears for $65. I swapped a friend for a set of 3.54's and cut the ends off the housing. I bought axles and a spool from Dr. Diff and had a local race fab shop install the car ends and setup the gears. I have ~$900 in mine. Reusing the drum brakes from the 8 3/4 helps with cost too!

And IIRC, the 9 actually takes a bit more HP to run it than the 60 does. The 60 is heavier but not as much as most seem to think. The upside to the 9 is you can get all kinds of gear ratios for it but like mentioned, to increase the strength of it, you're going to spend some money on it too. I would certainly use one vs spending a bunch of bucks on the 8 3/4 unless you have a fairly light weight car that you're racing but my first choice for a drag car would be the 60. I've learned 1st hand that it's the gears that fail in the 8 3/4 and finding 'pro' gears for one to race with is not very easy anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back