• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash and Radio lights won't turn off?!?!

L&LClassics

Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
68 b body standard dash. I can not get the dash and radio light's to turn off. I had to disconnect the battery so the lights would turn off. Has anyone had the same issue or know of any solutions?

Any recent changes in wiring?

Any recent "smokage" in the wiring?

Here's how these work, the dash lights are a bit of a "trick"

The headlight switch has TWO power sources

1....Headlights ONLY power comes UNFUSED off the ammeter black wire direct to the switch which has a built in breaker. This SHOULD be unrelated

2...Tail, park, and dash light power comes from the tail light fuse. That power goes through the light switch and TO the dash dimmer control. Through the dimmer, and down TO the fuse panel on a tan wire. Through the INST fuse which is all the way to one end of the fuse panel.

Then out that fuse on ORANGE wiring to all dash dimmer controlled lamps

Unless something as melted and shorted, or recently been mis-wired, I don't know how this happened. You recently added a tach, etc? Changed the radio?

And, one last thing. Rotate the dash dimmer control, open and close the doors and see if that affects the problem. There's a wire on a contact, connected with the dash dimmer......this is grounded when you twist the knob left to turn on the dome lights. If this somehow got shorted into the dimmer control, that "might" do it.

That all makes sense. I recently made a couple changes to the wiring to get the tail lights and running lights working. That must be where I went wrong. Thanks a lot.

Auto Transport Service
Back