• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I get lucky, or not?

They don't recommend the deep freeze plugs on big block Mopar's because the cylinders are so close to them. I learned this years ago from my machinist

I appreciate your advice, I have a 318 small block, hopefully the other plugs arent under the engine mounts. I'll start working on it tommorow morning. ws23jrt said that a stock plug or one resembling one might be difficult to Install, would installing a expandable one not be worth it?

I am compelled to reply here.

I have been there and done that with dealing with a freeze plug issue.

When an engine is on an engine stand it is a far different story than dealing with this issue on the road/in the car.
My history was with making my cars/transport deliver me to my destination. I did what it took to do that.
In this case perhaps we need to know more about what you expext from your car.

from the pictures, What I see it is a path to seal your leak and move on down the road.

As for you getting lucky?---YEP.

Last edited:
I am compelled to reply here.

I have been there and done that with dealing with a freeze plug issue.

When an engine is on an engine stand it is a far different story than dealing with this issue on the road/in the car.
My history was with making my cars/transport deliver me to my destination. I did what it took to do that.
In this case perhaps we need to know more about what you expext from your car.

from the pictures, What I see it is a path to seal your leak and move on down the road.

As for you getting lucky?---YEP.
main thing I want to do with the car is get it on the road hopefully take it to college, I'm not planning on putting much strain on the car by racing or anything but every now and then I want to impress the honeys by showing them what a old school mopar can do

Lots of great advice here. I have never been able to replace a plug in-car so I use the rubber "patch" plugs until I can pull the motor. Sometimes that can be months or even years.

I don't really think these are for block freezing..I think they are for casting purposes, but then again I live where it never freezes so I can't say first hand that they have never saved an engine block.

Another thought is if u use an expandable plug for repair that threaded stud sticking out MAY interfere with starter when trying to remount it.

Agree with that, but the one behind the starter is usually one of the easier ones to pound in a brass replacement.

They don't recommend the deep freeze plugs on big block Mopar's because the cylinders are so close to them. I learned this years ago from my machinist
Agreed, but- knew it was coming didnt ya
Tall, or deep plugs are only driven flush, never countersunk to provide that little extra sealing surface. I always assumed the "final" installed depth remained the same.?
Next build I'll have to measure, I just went by what an old timer taught me.
Good info DD

All good posts and the bottom line is that there's limited room to smack a hammer when the engines in the car,especially trying to get a straight shot to hammer the freeze plug in. The plug behind the motor mount I wouldn't even try.

Auto Transport Service
Back