• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

different brake booster ?

65-440

Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the front disk conversion on my 68 Coronet, I don't want to run the big factory style booster. Is there a smaller booster from a newer car that would work ? I've seen some very small brake boosters on newer cars. I did a search and didn't come up with anything .... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's went down this road before ! Thanks

the factory single diaphragm booster is 9" in diameter and it's none too big. there's an 8" double diaphragm "hemi clone" but it sticks out from the firewall about 16-18 inches; real maintenance headache.

the factory single diaphragm booster is 9" in diameter and it's none too big. there's an 8" double diaphragm "hemi clone" but it sticks out from the firewall about 16-18 inches; real maintenance headache.

but will that 9" booster work for front disc, or is it a 4wl drum booster ? im trying to keep the master close to the firewall as possible, def do not want that super long one ! Might be the one I saw where the master was more than half way down the valve cover !

No way hydroboost !

the 9" booster fits nearly flush to the firewall. i don't think the booster has anything to do with "disc or drum"; it's just a vacuum assist. the real deal is can you make enough vacuum to get a booster to work. sizing the master cylinder is a big deal. on another note; i have the a-body discs on the the front of my '65 coronet, manual 15/16" master cylinder, and it stops surprisingly well.

I'm torn, add the power or keep it manual. I drive the car a few days a week, sometimes through traffic. My swinger is factory manual disc/drum, stops good to me !

I'm torn, add the power or keep it manual. I drive the car a few days a week, sometimes through traffic. My swinger is factory manual disc/drum, stops good to me !
What vacuum does the engine pull? If to low stay with manual or go hydro boost. If high enough do what ever you want.

im torn on what to do aswell i have put an aftermarket in and my pedal is hard as hell i have 20 vacuum i think the booster is bad im thinking of going to a factory style. i was wondering if there was a newer one on a car i could use. i like the ideas i have read up on one the newer master cylinders with the plastic tops

Members, please chime in with your experience with Booster-MC combos that work great for you.

Call the Ram Man.Inc . They have the answers.

Here is a smaller size booster they set me up with for my 62 Dodge with Max-Wedge manifolds. Note it sticks out from the firewall because it has an offset to raise it up.
A body MC and Booster Plenty of Clearance 5-25-17.jpg
A body MC and Booste 2-25-17.jpg

I tried a 7" aftermarket booster in my Niece's 70 Challenger when I built it. With front discs, it was no good. Had to go to the dual ballast Bendix unit that Dr Differential recommended. When I built my 68 Charger, I upgraded to front discs and tried to use the 9" factory booster for drums. Had the same problem- Not enough boost. I had to go with the dual ballast Bendix unit on that as well. Cass at Dr Diff told me anytime you have disc brakes up front, if you want power brakes, you need the dual ballast unit no matter how much vacuum you have. After two trial and error projects, I believe him. If you want to go fast and want to save your precious vintage iron, Brakes are not any place to cut corners.

Thanks, I was considering the 8 inch dual ballast power booster. Can you reference the post you were mentioning by Dr. Differential?

Thanks, I was considering the 8 inch dual ballast power booster. Can you reference the post you were mentioning by Dr. Differential?
It wasn't in a post. It was a phone conversation I had with him when I was having problems with my 68 Charger after trying to use the stock booster for drum brakes. If someone needs a booster for drum brakes, I have one that was rebuilt.

I can get a rear disc conversion kit for 180.00 shipped; I may just do that, have 4 wheel disc brakes and a booster with that.

Sounds like a plan. I just didn't want people to make the same mistake I did trying to make a drum brake booster work with front discs

Thanks sixpactogo,
will my current master cylinder (disc/drum style master) work for disc/disc?

Auto Transport Service
Back