• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difficulty in rolling forwared

Hemi 354

Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question (or suspect). I have a 66 Belvedere that --on occasion -- is difficult to roll forward. I know that my Right Rear drum is holding me back and feel that it is engaged. I can move in reverse, but forward motion is difficult. With enough RPM, I am able to move it forward in the driveway. Before I rip into the drum brakes, are there any particular item that I should look for, ie. Wheel cylinder not letting go, etc?

I'm definitely going to get new drums, shoes, springs, cylinders, etc.......just curious as to any opinions on what might be causing the brake to hold.

Myself, I'd just do all the brakes. Check your axle-seals, too. Start fresh and enjoy your car. See if the E-brake cable is stuck.[TREED]

A collapsed inner wall on the rubber hose not allowing brakes to release. How old are they?

When I rip into these brakes, I have often thought about just eliminating and not-connecting the e-brake cable again. As far as age of the lines........Hmmmm, , I don't know. This car set in a warehouse for over 10 years. The PO swore that he addressed all those issues. Now, those lines will also be replaced.

Also, after reading how to tell the age of tires, I noticed the tires are now over 13 to 15 years old. And Yes, tires are on the agenda as well.

Thanks for the quick responses.

As far as age of the lines........Hmmmm, , I don't know. This car set in a warehouse for over 10 years. The PO swore that he addressed all those issues. Now, those lines will also be replaced.
Thanks for the quick responses.
On that note, you may want to check and see if the pistons in the wheel cylinders are gunked up and not allowing release, same goes for what's in the master as well. Just more food for thought, good luck.

Leaking whl cup at that wheel OR much more likely a sticking e-brake cable.

E-brakes will go in reverse forever,but not forward.

Could be a few direct things all mentioned here. You need to dig in and troubleshoot for sure. Removing ebrake tension is an easy first step.

Tires have DOT codes on them with the date of manufacture. Google that topic and you should find info on how to decode. IIRC is week of the year then year. Trick on these old cars is what decade they came from.

I'm have ordered all items that I could find. Brake Drums, Brake shoes, Brake Hardware kit, Brake Hose, Brake Wheel cylinders...... After installing, then adjusting everything in accordance with the service manual --that should do it. Now if those darn parts will hurry up and get here. There's only one way to fix this puppy, and I mean to cover everything.

Ya gost da do what ya gost ta do! Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back