• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake restore

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 RR with factory discs. At some point the spindles & associated parts were changed to a different years parts. I now have a set of 70 spindles & new rotors with new bearings & seals. What other parts need to be changed back to 70 style.

I have a 70 RR with factory discs. At some point the spindles & associated parts were changed to a different years parts. I now have a set of 70 spindles & new rotors with new bearings & seals. What other parts need to be changed back to 70 style.
Caliper brackets and calipers are 70-72 B and E body. The pin type hardware is still available...

They also had a 2-piece rotor from the factory but the replacement rotors are one piece.
Early 1970 had the wide opening caliper.
Do you have a pic of your setup?

They also had a 2-piece rotor from the factory but the replacement rotors are one piece.
Early 1970 had the wide opening caliper.
Do you have a pic of your setup?
I don't have a pix yet. It's in storage for the winter. I will get on soon. Would early Nov 69 build be considered wide opening caliper.

Member (PLYHEMI) has a pair of brand new wide mouth
calipers for sale here on the site for 70-72 IIRC.

Is it correct to assume if I have front rotors that are appx 11" in diameter that they would be of the 70 fitment. Cause I was told that rotors off the newer style ( 73 ) are appx 12".

I believe they are 10.9" Later on, 1976 I think, the B bodies went to a 11.75" rotor. I put those on my 72 Dart.

Are you just trying to put the car back to completely OE specs ? The 70 setup is a step back from the newer setup. Newer has larger inner bearings, cheaper rotors. Easier to get brake parts because they were used on Newer A-bodies that were made in much larger numbers.

I am just getting it back to OE. I hate having a "Frankenstein" car. Anybody who has my car in the future will be able to get appropriate parts for the car.

Hi Clazar,
I too really like the old school look. I’ve done two front brake conversations, both where 1972 small bearing spindles. If your so happen to find the small spindles at a very good that’s an opinion. Then the other small detail is to find the caliper brackets for a good price. These pin floating caliper brackets are going at a premium. Most every dealer paddling spindles and brackets for a brake conversion have slider type caliper brackets, I’m not a fan of the slider type. That doesn’t mean they don’t work less better, just my preference.

I just installed the setup on my 68 Charger. These were off of a 72 Charger. The only difference when installing these on a 68 Charger, the spindles have to be reversed and the caliper is installed on the back side of the rotor because of the location of the sway bar mount on the lower control arm.

All of this information might not pertain to your application but I just thought I would toss in my two cents worth, here’s a picture of the Charger

F3EF303B-58B2-40E7-A864-2E21978E0A3E.jpeg

Hi Clazar,
I too really like the old school look. I’ve done two front brake conversations, both where 1972 small bearing spindles. If your so happen to find the small spindles at a very good that’s an opinion. Then the other small detail is to find the caliper brackets for a good price. These pin floating caliper brackets are going at a premium. Most every dealer paddling spindles and brackets for a brake conversion have slider type caliper brackets, I’m not a fan of the slider type. That doesn’t mean they don’t work less better, just my preference.

I just installed the setup on my 68 Charger. These were off of a 72 Charger. The only difference when installing these on a 68 Charger, the spindles have to be reversed and the caliper is installed on the back side of the rotor because of the location of the sway bar mount on the lower control arm.

All of this information might not pertain to your application but I just thought I would toss in my two cents worth, here’s a picture of the Charger

View attachment 1233016
I know this is a little late but doing some homework and reading everything I can as I build my car. The question comes down to the Mc what do you have. 15/16 bore seems to be the answer would like to be able to go to local parts house and get one. Thanks for any help

I don't know what bore mc I have. I know it's the correct one for the original setup. I did get a spare & other parts from one of our members ( Mobile Parts ). Right now I do have all the original parts to take it back to 1970 style. After I take everything off, i'll be selling the rotors, calipers, brackets & spindles.

Now I have the correct parts. I am cleaning them with evaporust. What is a good spray paint to use on the parts. Also is there any gaskets that attach between any of the parts. ( dust shields )

Auto Transport Service
Back