• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor cap conversion?

koosh

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Is there such thing as an HEI style cap that replaces the standard mopar cap?

Kinda…I’m no expert, but I believe there’s a HEI conversion for the distributor that uses a larger cap. People on here have done that conversion

I'm not aware of any cap that can be replaced on a OEM distributor to change it to HEI. As @PurpleBeeper said, most aftermarket Mopar distributors have the GM caps. Some full size, some smaller...

Edit: Here is a (not so great) picture of mine I use for my car. I have a FAST FI system with timing controlled by the computer.
20210211_214147.jpg

P.S. Note that there can be clearance issues with many of these larger distributor housings. I had to clearance my head to allow this to fit.

Summit has a hei style terminal cap for the standard Mopar aluminum case distributors.
1711114976113.png

Summit has a hei style terminal cap for the standard Mopar aluminum case distributors.
View attachment 1632940
Thanks - I was unaware such an item existed, so I stand corrected.

I've actually been searching for the reverse. I have an aftermarket distributor (in my case from F.A.S.T) and it has the GM style cap. I'd love to instead install an OEM style distributor. The problem is, my computer needs TWO timing signals.
One needs to trigger 8 times, once for each cylinder. This is easy since any electronic ignition distributor will do this.
But the other signal needs to trigger once every 360 degrees of distributor rotation.

So I'll say, I'm not aware of any distributor that will do this. I'd love to be corrected again if that is not true! :thumbsup:

Only thing I can think of is a elect dist and a crank trigger with a single magnet on the trigger wheel. Why?

Only thing I can think of is a elect dist and a crank trigger with a single magnet on the trigger wheel.
Thanks. I'm not sure about a crank trigger, but maybe I need to see how visually obtrusive that would be.

The "theme" of my car is to look as stock as possible - I don't want modifications to be obvious.

It has a fuel injected 500 cubic inch stoker engine, yet I have attempted to make it look (mostly) like a stock 383. All electronics, MSD boxes, etc., are all hidden under the dash. I've even tried to hide the A/C as much as possible.

Anyway, I feel the distributor looks glaringly non-stock - it stands out like a sore thumb. I'd love to somehow run a OEM style distributor.

20230529_134320.jpg

20230529_134501.jpg

What are you running now?
It's a F.A.S.T branded distributor, but I think it is essentially the same as a MSD distributor with advance locked out (it has neither mechanical or vacuum advance - this is all controlled by the computer).

Kinda…I’m no expert, but I believe there’s a HEI conversion for the distributor that uses a larger cap. People on here have done that conversion
My A100 has an HEI style 'ready-to-run' GM style distributor on the 408 ex BluePrint Engines.

I am very happy with the lack of engagement so far. :lol:

1711226794595.jpeg

It's a F.A.S.T branded distributor, but I think it is essentially the same as a MSD distributor with advance locked out (it has neither mechanical or vacuum advance - this is all controlled by the computer).
I think maybe a dual pick up dist from a mid to late 70 lean burn computer controlled car/truck. Kim. P/s I see Hoppy has sent u a p/m.

We talked for a while think we got it figured out. TBC!

Auto Transport Service
Back