• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor created equal

o1gnah

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
What separates a low price distributor from a high. I purchased a low price~$50 from rockauto awhile back just now reassembling a new block to use on. Cheap dangerous? What gives?

The old adage "you get what you pay for". Used to be cheap garbage vs. quality part. Now, it seems like cheap chinese garbage vs. no-so-cheap chinese garbage.

I know lots of guys as well as myself that race and get maximum performance from a regular Chrysler distributor. But there are some advantages to fancy ones.

I bought a RA (Chinese) distributor for my 65 Coronet daily driver 318, went through it ( deburring, lube, inspection) and have had no issues with it. It was ordered for a 72 and I added the HEI module mount (had to drill mounting holes) and HEI assy to the distributor, using a RA Ford e-coil. Best starting engine I ever built!
Mike

The old adage "you get what you pay for". Used to be cheap garbage vs. quality part. Now, it seems like cheap chinese garbage vs. no-so-cheap chinese garbage.
Perhaps the OP should have considered doing business with @HALLIFAXHOPS........IMO, low or initial cost should not be the only consideration........
BOB RENTON

I bought a RA (Chinese) distributor for my 65 Coronet daily driver 318, went through it ( deburring, lube, inspection) and have had no issues with it. It was ordered for a 72 and I added the HEI module mount (had to drill mounting holes) and HEI assy to the distributor, using a RA Ford e-coil. Best starting engine I ever built!
Mike
I doubt if most people will go through all that.

The difference? Probably only the numbers after this sign: $

Really can't go wrong with a factory distributor that isn't worn out. The only issue that I've seen on a distributor machine is the spark scatter. The timing of each cylinder will vary +/- 1.5° from cylinder #1.

Some of the new ones don't have a stop for the mechanical advance so this can distruct an engine.

The word "billet" will usually make the price 5 times higher.

Auto Transport Service
Back