• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do all1969 383 motors have hole drilled for pilot

Gtx5672

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
i have a 69 383 motor with auto trans.Do all 69 383 motors have the crank drilled for the pilot bearing for a manual trans?I don't feel like taking it apart to find out.thanks.

no. very few if any do actually, if an original auto, I have never found one.

Ok,I'm hearing all kinds of info on this.Guy just told me all 69 motors had a pilot drilled.thanks.

There is a hole there but it may not be the correct diameter and depth for the bushing.

Drilled? Yes, but not the right diameter for a pilot bearing. At least that's the case with the crank in the original 383 that came in my '69 Super Bee w/auto. trans. I'm thinking the hole is approx. .050" too small to accept a pilot bearing.

Is it a situation where it can be drilled or tapped easy enough?.Guy want to put this motor in his 71 4 speed road runner.

I have seen "undersized pilot bushing" advertised at .915"OD and .750"ID. Their description is, "crankshafts that were drilled, but not finish bored for manual transmission use". NAPA part # 615-1033.

Someone on here said awhile back that the HP engines were drilled for one but I can't confirm that.....

FA1B17B0-E15A-43F7-ABC1-53011708BB09.png
Here is another option from brewers performance.

Is it a situation where it can be drilled or tapped easy enough?.Guy want to put this motor in his 71 4 speed road runner.

If you take the crank to a machine shop I can't see why they wouldn't be able to drill/ream the hole to the correct size.

Edit: If the guy doesn't plan to rebuild the engine before using, then the inexpensive options posted by texas69bee and shorthorse make good sense!

Last edited:
I use the roller bearing and eliminate the pilot bushing. It is a sweet set up...

The crank can be drilled out if need be....

As far as are they all drilled in a particular year that is a No! Are all HP engines drilled to accept a 4spd. I never paid attention nor have heard if true....

I use the roller bearing and eliminate the pilot bushing. It is a sweet set up...

The crank can be drilled out if need be....

As far as are they all drilled in a particular year that is a No! Are all HP engines drilled to accept a 4spd. I never paid attention nor have heard if true....

Have you ever had problems with the roller type?
I bought this one (in photo) several years ago for a project but ended up not using it.
IMGP0101.JPG

70 Automatic cranks are drilled .914 and need to be reamed to .941 , otherwise use the $18 needle bearing which are known to seize and by the way are easily removed by packing the cavity with grease and using the big damper bolt (perfect
fit) into the hole and and wacking it with a hammer. ( not messy, really)
Best is the stock oilite impregnated bronze bushing available through Mopar Dealer part # P5007051
or Napa-Balkamp .941 O.D. 750 I.D. #615-1026
Federal Mogul # PB286HD
and if you can find it Napa had a .914 O.D. .750 I.D. for the un-reamed # 615-1034

Auto Transport Service
Back