• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do distributors need bronze gear

moparjohnny

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
that is for any distributor we use for bb mopar eng.i will have a roller cam for 383. thanks

Yes, if you have a billet cam you will need that bronze gear. Get one that's already mounted to the shaft.

Yes, if you have a billet cam you will need that bronze gear. Get one that's already mounted to the shaft.
so all none billet cams do not need distributor bronze gears?

There are other choices besides bronze, bronze is considered sacrificial and will require replacement after predetermined intervals. There is also composites out there for gear material. What does the manufacturer of your cam recommend?

Keep in mind too that is you are not going with electric fuel pump then the fuel pump pushrod will have to be considered for change as well as it rides along on the cam.

Eagle, yes you are correct. I think Comp Cams makes that composite type gear. They recommend using that composite gear with a NEW cam only and not to be used with a cam that has already used a bronze gear. Guess this insures that both the composite gear and cam gear wear the same.

And totally agree with the bronze gear being the sacrificial lamb, as my bronze gear teeth disintegrated last year. Rather that than the cam. Flushed roughly 25 quarts of 5w oil through the motor hoping to get all the bronze pieces out of the motor. F sake!!!!

Eagle, yes you are correct. I think Comp Cams makes that composite type gear. They recommend using that composite gear with a NEW cam only and not to be used with a cam that has already used a bronze gear. Guess this insures that both the composite gear and cam gear wear the same.

And totally agree with the bronze gear being the sacrificial lamb, as my bronze gear teeth disintegrated last year. Rather that than the cam. Flushed roughly 25 quarts of 5w oil through the motor hoping to get all the bronze pieces out of the motor. F sake!!!!
Hey did that clean out your motor ok? Is it still runniung good? I had an ex lobe go bad, lost about .120" off the lobe. Just need to clean out the motor, and I don't want to disassemble it.

The composite gear is made by Crane Cams and
Is also sold through Hughes engines, as well as other speed houses.

Did you change out the bronze bushing under it? It's been my experience that the bronze gear on the bronze bushing doesn't last long. The bottom of the gear seems to wear as does the top of the bushing. The gear then drops causing the alignment to be off and gear wears even quicker. I went to using an .005" stainless shim between them and problem solved.

The composite gear is made by Crane Cams and
Is also sold through Hughes engines, as well as other speed houses.
I have a hughs bought gear in my 505, it is not composite, but a special coated steel or iron. it`s on a compcams solid roller , so far so good .--------happy new yr. !!

yes, I also replaced the bronze bushing while I was in there, and used a SS shim also.

Did you change out the bronze bushing under it? It's been my experience that the bronze gear on the bronze bushing doesn't last long. The bottom of the gear seems to wear as does the top of the bushing. The gear then drops causing the alignment to be off and gear wears even quicker. I went to using an .005" stainless shim between them and problem solved.

Yes, the motor is still running fine a year after the bronze gear got chewed up. I'm rebuilding the motor over the winter so will see what the bearings and things look like. I used a funnel with a long bendable extension so that I can get the oil all through the lifter valley and try and do a good flush. Use a thin oil so it flows more easily everywhere.

Hey did that clean out your motor ok? Is it still runniung good? I had an ex lobe go bad, lost about .120" off the lobe. Just need to clean out the motor, and I don't want to disassemble it.

Big difference between iron particles and bronze/brass. The bronze erodes in very small particles. The iron is ground off in larger and more abrasive particles. Plus the iron is a lot harder. Brass drive gears wearing will not damage the engine. Iron will.

Auto Transport Service
Back