• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you keep a detailed record on your car?

Keep everything.
I keep detailed records with the race car.
I should do the same with the daily drivers.
I got screwed on warranty on an engine because I changed my own oil but didn't have the receipts for every interval.

Last edited:
3 large folders every receipt for that car goes into its folder .
I used to keep track of every cent but found it took the joy out of the hobby , now I just keep them all and the kids can add it up after I'm gone

Keep everything.

I got screwed on warranty on an engine because I changed my own oil but didn't have the receipts for every interval.

Same here. In 2009 my 2007 Ram had a failed MDS lifter, resulting in over $3000 worth of diagnosing and repair. The dealer and non factory warranty company were at odds with each other and the warranty pricks kept trying to deny the claim based on maintenance. The problem was not at all related to oil. It was a defective component that would have failed no matter what intervals the oil and filter were changed.

I'm still a paper guy and keep a folder for each car. Not much on the daily drivers but very detailed on hobby cars. For those I keep a running total of all costs, when you sell it's a capital gain or loss on your taxes and you need records. Since about 2007 I also have digital photo files with backups, take pics of everything.

I used to keep detailed records in a 3 ring binder for every car my builds and my daily drivers.

For each in would keep oil logs, gas fill ups and everything purchased for each one.

Now I just keep the big stuff oil changes and parts. I just grab a new folder for each time I purchase a new car.

I have to really keep reciepts to prove to my wife that I bought stuff on sale or for a really good price. That way she doesn't get to mad.

Other than that my kids can add it up one day or look back on all the parts and see what I was building for each car.

I'm still a paper guy and keep a folder for each car. Not much on the daily drivers but very detailed on hobby cars. For those I keep a running total of all costs, when you sell it's a capital gain or loss on your taxes and you need records. Since about 2007 I also have digital photo files with backups, take pics of everything.

isn't that why you pay cash , to keep the tax man out of your pocket

I've had my "Govier Report" for nearly 18 years now....which coincidentally is how long some people have been waiting for theirs. :lol:
upload_2017-1-13_16-27-29.png

isn't that why you pay cash , to keep the tax man out of your pocket

It matters -not- how one pays along the way. When -in audit- having records is all one has for defence of their money.

If a car is purchased for example at $300. And years later it is sold for $3000. The capital gain on $2700 is taxiable.
BTW the same goes with illegal drug deals. Either keep good records or pay up as if no cost of doing your business ever happened.:D
The IRS is a taker and their is no department in the gov. that will stop them.---(so far:D).

The IRS is a taker and their is no department in the gov. that will stop them.---(so far:D).
There is a higher power here in NZ...Customs (Border Police) - they can enter your home any time day or night, without a warrant, and search for whatever they like....and take what they believe to be illegally imported goods....or whatever they fancy. They answer to no-one.

No, because it would only remind me of how much I've put into the damn thing and I'd get depressed.

I haven't kept anything. I've had the car for 45 years and it just went thru a ground up resto. I simply don't have the patience to keep every scrap of paper that came with the car and the the resto. Car should speak for itself. If it doesn't I won't sell it.

There is a higher power here in NZ...Customs (Border Police) - they can enter your home any time day or night, without a warrant, and search for whatever they like....and take what they believe to be illegally imported goods....or whatever they fancy. They answer to no-one.

Wow... That sure is some Nazi/Totalitarian type ****, man. Time to have a revolution or something

Here we just call them black :mad:

Once upon a time , I kept auto logs...
Where I was traveling to... advice for the next trip......seemed like a good idea.
Let's read the log from 1977...
Orking-ton..... No sporfut.
Either I cannot find sporfut in Orking-ton, or it is unwise to sporfut in or about the environs of Orking-ton.
Date, gallons, miles. Oil chgs.
Motor mods.
That stopped in the late 80s.
Now everything is by brain memo only

I keep a perfectly documented, itemized, history of my car(s) and truck(s) . . . in my head so it's readily available for immediate access . . .

However, I'm finding that the recovery of said information, as I'm getting older, seems to fail from time to time . . . I blame that on a bad sector on the hard drive in my head . . . ( LMAO )

Oh, and no prices are included . . .I don't want to know how much I've spent on these things as they are hobbies and worth every penny that I've spent ( I think . . . )

The only thing I kept is logs of 'do's'& e.t.'s when something got changed when racing; don't remember where I stashed them!! Original owner so they can believe me or not, don't care.

I keep all records on my car and then can't find what the hell I need anyway....go figure. :wtf:

I have old records of cars that I no longer have. Is it time to clean out the files?

As for old records of any kind? It is a good thing to spend time cleaning and tossing the past.
If you don't do it yourself your kids will do it for you.:D

Auto Transport Service
Back