• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone make performance front shox for our cars?

UKPlymouth

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Having real trouble trying to find decent front shox for my 1973 Roadrunner. Any suggestions to upgrade from oem?

doesnt look like there are too many out there, well i have had the kyb gas ones on all my previous mopars they do pretty decent.

look right at PST vendor they have the Bilstein's for a good price

Yep, just checked PST, only listing Bilsteins as a full front/rear set, although price is good. Just looking for front currently.

I used to run Monroe shocks on my cars and the 500's were what I used but not sure what's still available from them.

I have the Bilsteins all the way around on my 73. You do have to modify the opening on the lower control arms so it will fit and the tube is much wider then standard shocks.

Here is what it looked like before I put the k-frame back on the car.
IMAG0906small.jpg

Yes we have Bilsteins(set of 4) for $375 or we have kyb's for $199. You can also use your member's discount too.

Thanks
James

The modification required to fit Bilsteins : what's involved and can it be done in situ? Thanks.

I'm starting to realise how few aftermarket parts there are for '73 up cars.
Torsion bars? My search earlier produced nothing. Looks like it will be tough getting my car to handle better.

I'm starting to realise how few aftermarket parts there are for '73 up cars.
Torsion bars? My search earlier produced nothing. Looks like it will be tough getting my car to handle better.

Check out Firm Feel, I got my torsion bars, shocks, and rear sway bar bushing setup from them, plus they are real nice folks to deal with as well. they also rebuilt my steering gear box!

You can talk to Dick at Firm Feel, great guy to deal with, if you happen to call them directly. I upgraded my torsion bars to 1.06s.

I too like and deal with PST and Firm Feel. Got my Hotchkis-tuned Bilsteins from Hotchkis. One of the best upgrades ever. Get all four and be done with it.

You can talk to Dick at Firm Feel, great guy to deal with, if you happen to call them directly. I upgraded my torsion bars to 1.06s.
Are you running a big block or small block?

I have the Bilsteins all the way around on my 73. You do have to modify the opening on the lower control arms so it will fit and the tube is much wider then standard shocks.

Here is what it looked like before I put the k-frame back on the car.
View attachment 151373

Sorry bring this thread back from the dead but, I'm looking at shocks for a '79 Cordoba and I see that shocks are the same for a 73+ B-Body. I'm just curious if you could be more specific on what needs to be modified or if this issue has been corrected since 2 years ago? Thank you in advance.

KYBs are awful. You get what you pay for but honestly I was more than happy with Monroe's. Don't try to make up for a worn suspension with a stiffer shock all it will do is kill your ride quality. If you want better handling then upgrade to the solid biscuits for the k frame.

I'm not sure what you mean if the issue has been corrected. As I said originally, I had to modify the lower control arm opening because the Bilstein shock tubes are much wider than original shocks, so in order for it to not hit the lower control arm and bolt up properly, I had to widen the opening on the LCA.

Auto Transport Service
Back