• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this sound like a good combo at a good price?

furyous1964

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
A guy local to me has an edelbrock performer intake, but not sure if it is an rpm or just regular performer, and a purple shaft hemi grind cam for sale for $200 for the intake cam and lifters. The specs on the cam are 284/284 duration with .484/.484 lift. The combo has about 3000 miles on it and he replaced it with a single plane intake and a .509 cam. I was looking to buy a decent cam and an intake like a performer rpm anyways but if its not an rpm is the performer an improvement over stock? I have a 67 440 which i don't know a lot about. it is very mild as far as the cam is concerned so i believe its a stock cam. It has a holley 780 carb on top of a stock 72 intake with a k&n filter and msd ignition. It also has hedman headers which are 1 3/4" to 3" collector and 2.5" exhaust with 50 series flowmasters. The car is in the body shop right now but will be coming out next week in primer and i was gonna pull the motor and clean it all up and replace gaskets anyways but don't have money to throw a lot at it right now. Would this be a good idea to get this guy's stuff and would it be fine on a basically stock or very mild 440? If i do all this i would like to know if i should port the heads with the mp template also? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thought I would add that it is a 727 with 3:23 gears and i want more performance but nothing crazy yet.

TTT and the guy called back and said its a edelbrock performer 440 intake. Is that a decent upgrade from a stock intake? Also i was a little worried that the .484 lift cam with 284 duration might be too much for a car with possibly a stock stall speed convertor. Any help on this would be appreciated.

The Performer RPM intake is a good upgrade.As far as the cam goes it would be a OK cam.A 484 lift in a 440 is not a real big cam I would go with a more modern Comp Cam.If you buy the used cam look at it real careful and look for any damage.Make sure he marked the lifters when he pulled the cam,lifters need to go back in the same way they came out.
Jim

Thanks for the advise and he told me he marked them as to where the lifters go. He said everything was broken in real well and he had 3:91 gears and a 2800 speed stall so he could afford to go much more radical on the cam. I figured $200 bucks was a good deal since i was planning on buying a cam and intake anyways and spending almost $500 practically. Won't hurt to give this a go and I am not looking for anything that will require me to change Springs and switch to adjustable or roller rockers just yet so this combo will work out well for me especially considering the price.

A 67 440 will have the 915 closed chamber heads (which are really good because of the port and closed chamber) but Personally I don't think you have the gears to run that .484 cam properly. You may also want to check your cranking compression pressure before you take it apart as the .484" will want some compression. I have the MoPar .455" / 272 in my 440 and it runs great, so you might consider something like that. Only problem is I have 10.1:1 CR and 190 PSI of cranking pressure and it needs more than pump 91 to run properly.

I passed it up. Too many what if's on a used cam. I think I will just get a performer rpm or holley street dominator intake and upgrade to a 850cfm carb. I believe the car already has a mild cam in it.and i see no need to change it at this time after your guys advice. Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on a good carb? I know one of you has a 850 double pumper for sale but do you think mechanical secondaries is a good choice to not have an 850 with vacuum secondaries?

You don't need 850 CFM. 750 vac secondary for a mild 440 is plenty. You might consider a 750 AFB too.

Auto Transport Service
Back