• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

don’t fall for it!!

hdwrench

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
While at hunting camp opening week my buddy got a call from the wife saying the refrigerator quit working. So he tells her you must go get a new one. She goes to the local Lowe’s stores and buys a fridge , later that night she called him back and says the fridge is fine but they can’t install the microwave or the dishwasher or the stove because the plugs might not be compatible. ( yep ya get a discount if ya but all new everything! ) They can’t do that. so my buddy packs up his gear and heads back to the big city , first thing he’s going to tackle is the microwave get that thing installed. Well, it gets hung on the wall and gets it plugged in and it won’t work. turns out the door is defective. so he pulls it down ( built in type) and takes it back to the store. They say they can’t exchange it as it’s been more than 48 hours and they have to refund his money and go back and buy a new one. so he goes back ands grabs another new one but now they want to sell it to them at full price instead of the discounted package deal amount. Isn’t that sweet? He has yet to get the stove installed or the dishwasher because the dishwasher is missing parts. and the stove is not a compatible plug so he’s got a call electrician. The deal is getting better and better.i sure am glad i had nothing break down !!! (yet). the sad this is the other appliances worked fine ….

Last edited:
All ranges come with complete instructions to install 3 or 4 wire plugs. Shouldn't need an electrician unless it's simply something he doesn't want to do. As far as the microwave, is it a 220v microwave? That's the only way I see the plug not working. Either way, these bastards always getya... nothing is easy anymore.

Personally I never let a woman/ my wife buy anything home related unless I’m there. Never? She knows and doesn’t want to know what’s what in a home. Nor do I want her to.

I see 2 fundamental problems with your buddy's situation.........

1) "the big city" (get out while you can)
2) allowing the wife to buy appliances on her own (not her fault)

48 hour expiration? And some missing parts? Can’t recall the last time a store wouldn’t honor the sale price if the item was defective. Some will honor a lower price found from a competitor. Recently, bought a microwave with added features getting a 100 buck refund from the store as the oven went on sale and we didn’t even call them on it.

Buying a bunch of appliances, stores may install them unless something is going to require electrician or plumbing work, recently the case when my kid bought new fridge, oven, micro, and dishwasher as a package. They installed a different cord cuz the one was too short to reach the outlet, no added cost.

Don’t know what store here; but I’d find my way up the chain and complain about it. I’ve had more success than not when I did so.

All ranges come with complete instructions to install 3 or 4 wire plugs. Shouldn't need an electrician unless it's simply something he doesn't want to do. As far as the microwave, is it a 220v microwave? That's the only way I see the plug not working. Either way, these bastards always getya... nothing is easy anymore.
micro plug in fine but didn’t work due to a faulty door …replace at a higher price is the surprise , he is going there again today and working up the management ladder ….

While at hunting camp opening week my buddy got a call from the wife saying the refrigerator quit working. So he tells her you must go get a new one. She goes to the local Lowe’s stores and buys a fridge , later that night she called him back and says the fridge is fine but they can’t install the microwave or the dishwasher or the stove because the plugs might not be compatible. ( yep ya get a discount if ya but all new everything! ) They can’t do that. so my buddy packs up his gear and heads back to the big city , first thing he’s going to tackle is the microwave get that thing installed. Well, it gets hung on the wall and gets it plugged in and it won’t work. turns out the door is defective. so he pulls it down ( built in type) and takes it back to the store. They say they can’t exchange it as it’s been more than 48 hours and they have to refund his money and go back and buy a new one. so he goes back ands grabs another new one but now they want to sell it to them at full price instead of the discounted package deal amount. Isn’t that sweet? He has yet to get the stove installed or the dishwasher because the dishwasher is missing parts. and the stove is not a compatible plug so he’s got a call electrician. The deal is getting better and better.i sure am glad i had nothing break down !!! (yet). the sad this is the other appliances worked fine ….

Got more bad news for him. The new refrigerator will take a dump in about 2 years then the cycle will repeat.

stores a getting away with way to much these days. if you have a problem with a item purchased in a store and have a problem with it they want you to contact the manufacturer for resolution, taking minimal responsibility for there product line …

We have enough freezy packs in our fridge/freezer that it would have been fine for 3-4 days.

My wife would have been smart enough not to keep opening the doors, and also would have been smart enough to take anything expensive to the shop refrigerator if she thought it was getting too warm.

...and feisty enough to tell the store people to take it back if it didn't work when they were ready to leave.

Where are you hunting that there is phone service?

We bought our current refrigerator at a thrift store in 2015 for $240.

Not sure who's dumber, your buddy or his wife !!!

4c003505f449dfae125435bc52ad1b580704b36f56f34a857f47352a2f133c4e.jpg

My wife would have been smart enough not to keep opening the doors, and also would have been smart enough to take anything expensive to the shop refrigerator if she thought it was getting too warm.
You're assuming his wife is the dumb one. I'm thinking after she called him she told all her friends "he fell for it !!"

my bud is a great guy , very mello and easy goin … i agree with most ur thoughts but he’s not a dummy . she just seems to get him into more then he bargains for ….i never would of let my wife go crazy buying all new stuff . like it was mentioned the fridge and most that stuff will probably be dead in a few years . i’ve only bought 1 new fridge in all my years and only because we needed an odd size . most the new appliances are junk . most people i talk to are having trouble keeping there stuff running. i try to fix what we got because the new stuff is garbage…that said it also keeps me very busy …

When modern refrigerators stop working, it is usually the control board ($30 for many). YouTube is your friend in diagnosing these problems.

You had me at "hunting camp"?
Never buy appliances from Lowes. That includes outdoor power equipment. In my area the online store, shipper, and installer are on 3 separate systems like 3 different companies and can't talk to one another. Best Buy's service is better (integrated) and they spoil you.
Don't blame the wife.

You had me at "hunting camp"?
Never buy appliances from Lowes. That includes outdoor power equipment. In my area the online store, shipper, and installer are on 3 separate systems like 3 different companies and can't talk to one another. Best Buy's service is better (integrated) and they spoil you.
Don't blame the wife.
i agree , i would ever go to the home improvement stores for appliances. there are better choices…

Personally I never let a woman/ my wife buy anything home related unless I’m there. Never? She knows and doesn’t want to know what’s what in a home. Nor do I want her to.

You're assuming his wife is the dumb one. I'm thinking after she called him she told all her friends "he fell for it !!"

Generally speaking if you want a good product you go to a specialty store AND you get what you pay for. This applies well to appliances. You'll never see a Samsung or LG product on the floor at an appliance store. and let me tell you this little tale ... a few years back I needed a part for a Maytag dryer - just a little door latch. I knew of a place that gathered up old appliances and parted them out. They probably got most of them at the curb on trash day but who cares. Anyhow, when I told them what I was after they told me to go out back in the yard and help myself. Do you want to guess at what two brands 99% of the stuff was - hint: I mentioned them earlier. So now one has to wonder ... is it because of sales volume or is it because they're junk ?!?!?

We have a great appliance store here in town. I’m sure they are a little more expensive then the big stores, but they would never do something like that.
I feel bad your buddy had to leave deer camp. Maybe he should go hunting at Lowes :elmer:

Auto Transport Service
Back