• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno numbers seem low?

cdn66satellite

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score

383 with 3.9" crank makes 450 CI
Stealth Heads
Ross flat tops
Eagle rods
Mopar .484 cam
Eddy intake and 750 carb
Headers

Thought I would see a bit more than 330 to the tires

Yeah superflow dyno. Do I read corrected or STP?

Corrected.. because that's what the tire/ground see's. The second # are projected at the crank. The small 383's bore is really hurting you, just think what the 400's huge bore would have given you for free? But 330hp at the wheel is a honest number with the .484

Corrected.. because that's what the tire/ground see's. The second # are projected at the crank. The small 383's bore is really hurting you, just think what the 400's huge bore would have given you for free? But 330hp at the wheel is a honest number with the .484

Ok thanks for the clarification. It made an extra 100whp on a 100 shot

Pretty close, if it's any consolation my 493 only makes 374 at the wheels (468 hp @ crank)(468x.8=374) with unworked stealth heads a QFT 780 vac sec carb comp 224 lift cam hydraulic roller lifters 1.5 ratio, eagle crank, diamond dished pistons. 91 octane gas and a 80° day 26" tall tires on 15" mag 500's . no prior tune which was on the lean side at the time and dirty plugs run made in second gear with a roll on to 5k. Going to put my 850 mech sec on it get it re tuned and take it back in a couple of weeks just for fun.

I forgot I made 512 ft lbs of torque :) my car is a street only cruiser though

I think you made good numbers, not drag racing numbers but great street numbers :)

After 103 MPH, the engine RPM went wacky? The cam and carb ore on the small side for a 450" engine, unless it is intended to be pretty mild?

Depends on the transmission and gears. I would also tell you those superflow dyno's read high. Those numbers dont look too far off though. Usually 440 torque and about 400 horsepower on my dyno with similar combos.

383 with 3.9" crank makes 450 CI
Stealth Heads
Ross flat tops
Eagle rods
Mopar .484 cam
Eddy intake and 750 carb
Headers

Thought I would see a bit more than 330 to the tires

It wasn't you car,,, it was a "Satalite" on the dyno...

After 103 MPH, the engine RPM went wacky? The cam and carb ore on the small side for a 450" engine, unless it is intended to be pretty mild?

i think he just let off on the dyno at that point. yeah cam and carb are on the small side. I used them because they were just sitting around. Regret it now but can always upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Took it to the track today. 3.55 gears. 13.2 at 102 was very hot and humid

Nothing personal but i think 429 hp is high for your car with that mph. My full weight challenger has ran 113 at the track and makes right at 450 hp on the wallace calc.
I also agree that your cam and carb are too small, i would try either an 850 or 950 holley dp on it and watch your speed and et improve.
Mick

Nothing personal but i think 429 hp is high for your car with that mph. My full weight challenger has ran 113 at the track and makes right at 450 hp on the wallace calc.
I also agree that your cam and carb are too small, i would try either an 850 or 950 holley dp on it and watch your speed and et improve.
Mick
In the works as we speak. Thank you for the info

if those heads haven't had any professional work done to them, then thats the first place i'd go. OOTB stealths can be dismal. cams and carbs are ok but something has to let the air in and out. the low rpm peak may be due to the 108lsa on the cam and if it was advanced during install it'll just make matters worse. people over look fuel delivery too. i use a small solid, ( [email protected]"-.510 lift, has the same duration at .050" and .200" as the mopar 284-.484 but with a 110lsa) with a stock 10 3/4" converter; seems to work.

the stock stealth flow enough to make in the 550 hp range if everything is right.

- - - Updated - - -

in your case what was the correction factor on the dyno & what was the air density on the day at the track. if you are at 5000 ft that would slow the car down a lot.

550hp for OOtb stealths is generous in my opinion. edelbrocks flow a little better and i think 550 real horsepower for them in OOTB condition is a stretch. i don't think the OOTB edelbrocks on my 440 would do 550hp. the flow numbers on these heads are over stated. the 2+ horsepower per 1 cuft of air may be doable in some race engines, but i don't think anything like that happens on these cars we drive.

i have a flow bench & out of the box stealths flow about 267 @ 28

- - - Updated - - -

i also said if EVERYTHING IS RIGHT !!!! :)

over at moparts.com on the race forum there's a discussion about stealth heads. dwayne porter, aka fast68plymouth/porter racing heads, is posting some flow bench numbers on stealth heads. a must read!

Can you post the direct link? would like to check it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back