• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 1406 giving me headaches

The Carter M6866 pump has a 5.5-6.5 psi rating, right in line with the 6.5 max Edelbrock suggests.

if its not the choke or the fuel pressure......perhaps you need an insulated spacer underneath your carburetor? iv seen carbs absorb so much heat from the intake manifold that a person could not hold their hand on the carb. that condition will cause surging and stalling. good luck.

If you are using the factory type fuel pump, YOU DO NOT NEED A REGULATOR. You will be adding another part that can fail, reducing flow.....& gaining nothing.
The fuel pressure quoted by Edel is the datum point for giving the correct fuel A/F ratio for a 7/16" float setting.

Some common sense needed here. If the fuel pressure was excessive, it would stall hot or cold, not just cold.

The fuel inlet system of the Edel carbs is an EXACT copy of the original Carter AFB/AVS carbs, which can take 10 psi. Edel carbs come with small n/seats 0.093". These are smaller than many supplied with Carter carbs; smaller n/seats will withstand more pressure before they flood.

img244.jpg

i was shocked to learn something the hard way about fuel pressure in case you all dont already know........as under hood temperature increases,fuel pressure actually decreases.so if you set your regulator at say 5 psi with the hood open when its 75 degrees outside,pressure might drop down to 3 or 4 psi when its 150 degrees or more under the hood in the summertime. that is especially important when spraying nos or running boost. i had assumed incorrectly that heat would increase fuel pressure.

^^^^This.

I recently did that under my AVS2 and now the carb stays cool to the touch. Edelbrock #9266 for dual plane.
Does it matter which one I get? I have the Edelbrock 1406 with an aluminum intake.
1687432172348.png
1687432234060.png

If you are using the factory type fuel pump, YOU DO NOT NEED A REGULATOR. You will be adding another part that can fail, reducing flow.....& gaining nothing.
The fuel pressure quoted by Edel is the datum point for giving the correct fuel A/F ratio for a 7/16" float setting.

Some common sense needed here. If the fuel pressure was excessive, it would stall hot or cold, not just cold.

The fuel inlet system of the Edel carbs is an EXACT copy of the original Carter AFB/AVS carbs, which can take 10 psi. Edel carbs come with small n/seats 0.093". These are smaller than many supplied with Carter carbs; smaller n/seats will withstand more pressure before they flood.

View attachment 1483145
I have seen factory pumps put out over 10#.

I have a fairly low pressure electric pump on my 1980 D100 with a 440 and 750 AFB style carb.

I am not running a regulator, or a return line.

If it idles for more than a few minutes, it will start to load up.

If I bring the RPMs up or goose the throttle a couple times it will then be OK for another few minutes.

There is no surging while driving or stumble off the line, though.

For a while I had a stock 76 warranty 318 in a 73 Charger.

Had a 600 AFB style with factory mechanical pump.

No regulator.

No drivability issues with that one whatsoever.

I ordered the Edelbrock 9265 carb spacer. I hope it works. Plus some good news. My buddy hit the cable end with the welder and it made a slag BB on the end. I'm hoping it works. I'll order another one as back-up.

i use a 1406 for a primary carb on one of my cars. the 1406 is calibrated fairly lean out of the box. i changed the primary jets and rods to 1405 specs and the carb runs great.

So we've digressed into a overpressure tangent when I'm thinking it's too lean.

I actually had a member's 1406 on my 383 Plymouth just a week or two ago.
It was way lean on my car surged like crazy at 30-40 mph (and I have the big hi flow flow carter pump on it).
These are "emissions" calibrated.
You might want to go to a .098" primary jet as I'm pretty sure it comes with a .095".

But quitting at an idle sounds like either a vacuum leak or the idle mixture screws are just too far in.
First turn them in gently till they stop and count the turns (so you have a baseline).
Then back them out and give another full turn just as a test.
Adjust when at operating temperature.

Finally retarded timing can make the car act "lean" at idle

Depends on your intake. If you have a normal dual plane I'd get the one on the left, if you have an Air Gap RPM style or single plane, I'd go for the right.
Ah, I went with the one on the right. It matched the carb gasket.

Post #28. Then the fix would be to replace the pump, because it is faulty.
Would you use a 'regulator' if the oil pump in the engine was putting out 100 psi?

Post #28. Then the fix would be to replace the pump, because it is faulty.
Would you use a 'regulator' if the oil pump in the engine was putting out 100 psi?
After further research, I found out that the Edelbrock 1406 doesn't like fuel pressure over 5-5.5. It leaks fuel past the needles and starts to flood at idle. It doesn't happen when running down the highway. On other forums, guys are using a regulator at 4-5 psi and it solves their problem. If a regulator isn't needed then why do they make them? I will let you know if a regulator is the fix.

As stated, I don't have a fuel pressure- past the seat issue with the factory mechanical pump, but I do with an electric pump.

After further research, I found out that the Edelbrock 1406 doesn't like fuel pressure over 5-5.5. It leaks fuel past the needles and starts to flood at idle. It doesn't happen when running down the highway. On other forums, guys are using a regulator at 4-5 psi and it solves their problem. If a regulator isn't needed then why do they make them? I will let you know if a regulator is the fix.
See post #21

Auto Transport Service
Back