• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Magnum Heads on Early LA 360 Block

And you need to watch out for the big lift cams as the base circle is reduced thereby dropping the lifter further down its bore and potentially uncovering the galley. A/LA engines oil the lifter galleys first then the oil hits the crank next. Not a good thing to have if you get lifters wrong.

I'll save my comments on the logic of using these heads or keeping "details to yourself... because this is a magazine build..." for another time. So I want to make sure I understand where you are...
You're doing a combo that's been done a thousand times over, right? You know you need hollow pushrods, and some sort of non-shaft rockers. So you're good there. You're up to "what pushrods?"
Anybody that's done any performance building more than a couple times will tell you: you get it all together, measure for the pushrods, then either order a shelf part number if one matches what you need for length, size, end type, and end radii... Or order custom ones (which is what I do 80% of the time). It was suggested earlier - order some checking pushrods, and then measure for what you need. Manton or Smith Bros will make exactly what you need, or Comp may have a set but you have to do the diligence. There is no "use this pushrod" when nobody knows what the block is, or the gasket, or the rocker, and this is all "Code 5" so you won't tell.
As I mentioned in a later post, I'm curious what others have done with this particular swap so I can gather information. I originally stated that I was doing some research, but as others chimed in I wanted to give some info without giving all the details away. Since I am using Edelbrock's heads, I was curious if anyone else has done this swap, not just a "OE magnum head swap". I'm familiar with the adjustable pushrods and initially assumed that was the only way to go but wanted to see if everyone else has had to go that direction. I was hoping someone could provide what they used for this particular application with these components that they had success with so I can compare to my own findings. I'm not aware whether someone has done a kit, being that these are adjustable rockers (recommended by Edelbrock). As others have mentioned, Hughes has put something together for the factory heads, so I was really just see if someone has done something with the Edelbrock heads.

As for the "Code 5" stuff... I mentioned what block, what heads, and what rocker, but again, I'm not asking what specific parts I should use but rather what others have used and what they found success with. As I mentioned, I want to be able to add other information to this article and not just what I'm doing. Sorry if that was confusing, not trying to be vague and have people figure my stuff out, just trying to get some interaction and if someone has used the Edelbrock heads like the subject suggests and what route they took. As with anything, every bit of information is useful. Thanks

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back