• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Embarrassed: one lug nut won't budge

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Wow I am so embarrassed, but I have one lung nut that won't budge. Borrowed two impact wrenches, no budge.

Used the breaker bar, no budge.

Used a breaker bar + pipe, no budge.

Called JimKueneman and cried on his shoulder for sympathy.

Got any other tips?

Thanks, Bill

Happened to me on my 67 gtx. Roller 14" wheels had been on it for 20 years. Had to keep blasting with aerosol can penetrating oil and plastic tube, wait a while, hit with impact, then repeat. Sometimes alternating a breaker bar with cheater pipe in between impact wrench is good. Unweight the wheel with a jack but keep it on the ground to make sure the nut is not binding.

And of course if you are on the drivers side of the car make sure you are going in the direction of the stud threads...

Is it on a nice wheel? If your careful heat the lug nut up with a torch. Get at least part of the nut red.

There was a thread a few months ago. I believe RC posted it. It showed a guy with a lighter and a candle. He simply melted wax onto the base of the lug nut. Apparently it worked it's way into the nut. It worked.

Passenger side. I have not forgotten the left hand threads.

Pics attached. I guess it won't hurt to soak it?

20170122_164136.jpg 20170122_164144.jpg

I was 20 years old in '85 with zero Mopar knowledge when I bought my GTX ......... I think I broke off 3 before I figured it out

I have an old Allis-Chalmers WD. It has 2 of the 5 lugs on the left snapped off from the previous owner. My dad. Lol. Been that way my entire life

According to receipts Discount Tire put tires on in 2015.........

As previously suggested, a little heat from propane or Oxy/Acc torch might really help. The heat & paraffin trick could work too. Liquid wrench?

I agree with the tightening theory. Saw it on a tv car restoration show and it does work. Just tighten it a touch more to break the bond, and then try loosening. Maybe also put the other nuts back on tight to relieve the pressure on the final nut, or jack the car up and turn the wheel so the stuck nut is on the side or bottom before lowering it again, less force from the weight of the car on it? Good luck!

That is a good suggestion, did you try rattling it TIGHTER then reverse it? That does help sometimes.

Try some PB Blaster too. Let it soak for a day.

Like 65-440 said, get a bigger bar. The wrench you have a picture of isn't going to move it. Left or right, regardless, a bigger bar will snap the stud in either direction. You need a jack handle on that thing.

Like 65-440 said, get a bigger bar. The wrench you have a picture of isn't going to move it. Left or right, regardless, a bigger bar will snap the stud in either direction. You need a jack handle on that thing.
Yea, and use a shorter 6 point socket if you can get one on there.

Damn, takes ten guys to change a tire!

Auto Transport Service
Back