• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Block Decode Question...Factory Replacement???

RRDon

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
My 68 Road Runner 383 has an odd stamping on the serial number pad. I was told by the seller years ago that it was a "Factory Replacement Block" that the original owner had installed back when the car was still under warranty.
Here it is, as best as I can read it: H H9 15 1? 029 The 'one' between the 15 and 029 is extremely hard to see so I put a ? beside it. I also know the block casting is from 1969 so it's obviously not an original block. Thanks, RRDon
68 RR Best View.jpg

Is there a VIN number on the block above the pan rail?

I believe we have a "warranty block" thread.

Warranty blocks have a green (possibly corporate blue) tag riveted to them either on the driver's side below the head, or on the side of the block, and there is a number on the pad for the specs.

Is there a VIN number on the block above the pan rail?

I's a '68, so a VIN, partial, or otherwise would be on the back top of the bock, by the trans and oil sender.

...and could be very difficult to see.

I believe we have a "warranty block" thread.

Warranty blocks have a green (possibly corporate blue) tag riveted to them either on the driver's side below the head, or on the side of the block, and there is a number on the pad for the specs.
He said its a 69 casting.

The VIN on the car itself is RM21H8A208484 but it doesn't have any correlation to the block stamping.

What area are you calling the "serial number pad"?
The pad on the lower passenger side of the block that is flat and unpainted. The one where they 'stamp' the number that matches the car.

The VIN on the car itself is RM21H8A208484 but it doesn't have any correlation to the block stamping.
You still did not answer my question. Is there a number on the block above the pan rail. 69 casting should have a machined pad on the right side.

H H9 15 1 029
Ok. so there is numbers on that part of the block. Looks like it was a production engine that has a botched VIN stamping. H9 would be the start of a 69 VIN stamp.

I think it might be a partial VIN

H9 would be a 69 383-4 and 151029 could be the sequence number

What about the stamps below the driver's side head?

HP?

The numbers are spaced out far apart from each other. If that means anything or not.

What about the stamps below the driver's side head?

HP?
I'll have to put the car back up on the lift to try to see that. But I don't recall seeing anything in that area before.

Get some pics of the standard stamping areas and locations of any markings you can see. The guys on this forum are blood-hounds. Should be able get a good answer.

Auto Transport Service
Back