• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine storage

ddpsnake

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
My 360 build should be ready this week.My question is what to do about the 318 that is coming out of my 71.I plan on pulling the 318 this October,and putting the 360 in mid winter.I have no room to store it in my garage, so I plan on putting her in a wood box outside.What should i do to protect her for maybe a long time.my 360 build if anyone is interested.full bottom rebuild, speed pro h116 cp piston,comp cam h 262 ,202 j heads, 650 dp holley, eledbrock rpm intake,2800 stall,rear gear no sure yet. thanks for your thoughts.

Fill the engine to the top with cheap (?) oil. No air=no rust.
Mike

Make sure you don't take the plugs out or if you do to fill the cylinder make sure you put them back in. I bought a 340 Dart that had plugs removed for several years and motor was frozen solid. I had to hammer each piston out, rubber mallet, to get it apart.

Fill the engine to the top with cheap (?) oil. No air=no rust.
Mike
Mike is correct, put as much oil everywhere possible.
Then loosen the rocker arm shafts keep the valves shut.
My son bought a 5.9 magnum that was sitting around for 20 years from a roll-over.
Everything was coated in oil. Looked like new.
Don't put it in a plastic bag. Maybe take a painters tarp soak it in oil and throw that over it.

Great tips, that plug dri is very interesting. what about fog the engine ? keepin coming . thanks.

Make sure you put
Some oil in the cylinders and rotate the crank a few times. Plug every hole.

My reply was based upon personal experience. Back in college I and the other Mopar guy in machine shop class were picked to resurrect a 241 Dodge from a race boat that had sunk years before (it was quickly pulled from the water and drained). The original builder just topped it off with oil and let it set as he was busy. Well the boat and motor were owned by a Chevrolet dealer and they decided to send it to our auto machine lab to bring it back to life, and we did! We replaced the domed pistons with flat tops, solid roller with flat tappets, sent the Vertex back to the factory for service, cleaned out the Hilborn system, and reassembled the little fella. We fired it up right in the shop on the floor (flat bottom oil pan). the original builder came in to do the deed and brought the required alcohol with him. When it lit off, the windows in the building rattled, seems they were not ready for zoomie headers indoors. It was a fun project! 1971
Mike

Go down to your local marine/boat store and buy a can or two of fogging oil...follow the directions on the can...then wrap it up waterproof with a desiccant can or two
And as previously mentioned..loosen up the rocker gear.

I agree with everyone on filling it full of oil especially the cylinders. I'd also spend extra time sealing up every single orfice, if it isn't water it's mud dobbers, mice, etc.

Thanks a ton great tips, just got my 360 back from the builder

S9070001.JPG S9070002.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back