• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam shaft.

snake

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
OK it's time for some suggestions on cam shaft.my build 360 30 over 9 2 1 speed pro pistons,340 j heads 202 intake,edelbrock rpm performer,650 vs holley,headers,electronic ing,2800 stall 355 gear.going to manual brakes also.i had the 280 477 purple cam in a 69 dart and had lots of pull and my wife loved the idle so did I.so please steer me in on the right direction on picking a new bump stick,ps I do have the comp 268 with the 904 springs.thanks gents.

You're about to get a million answers! If you've found a cam that you like (280/477 purple), then I'd suggest going with the same cam. Otherwise, in general, the comp 268 is on the small side with the gears/stall you have and with 9:1 compression, maybe a lower overlap cam, but a little higher lift? (what that valve/piston clearance)

IMO....the most important thing is using a cam which has a power band or usable power range that matches the rpm range where your engine is going to operate.
The next thing is having enough valve lift to use the flow capability of your cylinder heads to achieve the strongest performance, while not overdoing it where your valvetrain
is overworked. piston to valve clearance is critical as is retainer to top of valveguide clearance; too much lift and/or duration can get you into trouble. Good luck.

The killer with a bigger cam is going to be the low CR. I would use the Isky 274 Mega cam. It is an oval track cam on 107LSA. The tight LSA with the modest duration will pump up the low end [ lacking due to CR ] & give good top end.

Daily driver, bracket racer, Street strip what's your end goal for the car?

I agree that you’ll get tons of suggestions……..here’s mine.
With the mild converter and gearing I’d use a Comp XE268.

Keep in mind that many choices will involve loooong lead times.

The Hyd version of the below Hyd. roller with less lift.
Cheap and easy.
I’m doing this roller (same/similar as the HFT) in a 360 w/3.55’s on a 26 X 10 tire 2500 stall. (I like your stall better)
Works well for a very streetable high torque combination. Top end HP is good. My intake track is a 750/RPM/TF heads with a TTI exhaust end to end. Trans is a 904. Cars weight is sub 3K - ‘67 Barracuda.

If there is a way to up your compression ratio, I suggest it.

IMG_0668.jpeg

I got X and two replies ????
Don’t worry about it. If you click the red X I brings up who pushed the button for it. It was snake & I think it was just a fat finger/slip of the finger action.

If your words about getting a red X , perhaps a thicker skin needs to be grown, don’t worry about it. Even more so on a subject like camshafts hweee everyone has there opinion.

Giving a crap about a red X is retarded.

I agree that you’ll get tons of suggestions……..here’s mine.
With the mild converter and gearing I’d use a Comp XE268.

Keep in mind that many choices will involve loooong lead times.
I have the 268 now my engine builder told me it's a small cam

The Hyd version of the below Hyd. roller with less lift.
Cheap and easy.
I’m doing this roller (same/similar as the HFT) in a 360 w/3.55’s on a 26 X 10 tire 2500 stall. (I like your stall better)
Works well for a very streetable high torque combination. Top end HP is good. My intake track is a 750/RPM/TF heads with a TTI exhaust end to end. Trans is a 904. Cars weight is sub 3K - ‘67 Barracuda.

If there is a way to up your compression ratio, I suggest it.

View attachment 1599724
I went with 9 2 1 because of pinging gas around hear is not what they say it is.

I went with 9 2 1 because of pinging gas around hear is not what they say it is.
Sighhhh, fuel ain’t what it used to be…..
Remember a ways back? The slogan where I was, “Real gas is purple!” LMAO. Yep! Miss them days.

You’ll be fine.

@snake remove your red X. He was asking you a question not disagreeing!
Oh piddle! That’s as crappy as complaining about getting one.

He already admitted to a fat finger syndrome.

What’s next? A hand written two page apology and how it’s bad to hurt others feelings by mistake? Ridiculous!

Oh piddle! That’s as crappy as complaining about getting one.

He already admitted to a fat finger syndrome.

What’s next? A hand written two page apology and how it’s bad to hurt others feelings by mistake? Ridiculous!
One of the reasons why they got removed on A bodies. If you fat finger one, remove it when asked about it. If you disagree, state your case.

Auto Transport Service
Back