• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excessive Fan Noise due to fan speed

In certain situations, three fingers makes quite the difference. :poke:

The 'excessive' noise could be caused by the shape of the fan mismatched to the shroud, accessories in the path of the forced air that were not there at a factory configuration with that fan, or maybe there is a blade out of shape?

It pays to know everything is matching before swappping parts out.

My buddy Cliff had a load of trouble getting his mild (more like tame) 440 to stay cool - swapped out different fans, clutches, shrouds until he found the right combination. Granted his problem was cooling not noise, but it shows the differences.
This motor has been running fine pre-A/C with same radiator, shroud, everything with no excessive noise UNTIL we swapped to the smaller AC pulley. Then the previous steel fixed fan whirred like a jet plane engine. It was recommended to switch to a fan clutch setup, which we did. Now the whirring is louder than with the fixed fan. It seems the fan clutch being an HD unit doesn't allow it to freewheel at all. So looking at ways to remedy this.

This motor has been running fine pre-A/C with same radiator, shroud, everything with no excessive noise UNTIL we swapped to the smaller AC pulley. Then the previous steel fixed fan whirred like a jet plane engine. It was recommended to switch to a fan clutch setup, which we did. Now the whirring is louder than with the fixed fan. It seems the fan clutch being an HD unit doesn't allow it to freewheel at all. So looking at ways to remedy this.
IMO....if the fan clutch is not "free wheeling" above, say 2000 RPM, replace it. Suggest Tony's Parts.....i prefer OEM rather than Hyden.
BOB RENTON

1711060238658.png

IMO....if the fan clutch is not "free wheeling" above, say 2000 RPM, replace it. Suggest Tony's Parts.....i prefer OEM rather than Hyden.
BOB RENTON

View attachment 1632638
Who do you think made fan clutches for Mopar??? And Tony doesn't sell OEM... He sells reproductions of OEM with a little logo that cost extra...

Do I rev it up to 2000 and stick my finger in to see if it's free wheeling??? Asking for a friend...

Another thing to mention about fan clutches is the way they are stored. Can't remember which way you are supposed to store them, but if the fan clutch you bought was not stored "correctly" it will take some driving to reset/release it.

Do I rev it up to 2000 and stick my finger in to see if it's free wheeling??? Asking for a friend...
You ask a friend to check it for you.

Another thing to mention about fan clutches is the way they are stored. Can't remember which way you are supposed to store them, but if the fan clutch you bought was not stored "correctly" it will take some driving to reset/release it.
The proper way to store the clutch is SHAFT UP....to prevent the silicon fluid from migrating into the bearing ...according to the FSM.....
BOB RENTON

Bob wants all you guys to keep your shafts up.

Who do you think made fan clutches for Mopar??? And Tony doesn't sell OEM... He sells reproductions of OEM with a little logo that cost extra...
My origional torque drive clutch assembly #2806070 Fan Clutch was made by Eaton Corp. I suggested Tony's Parts as a supplier IF the person was interested in OEM appearance and functionally.....i realize he sells reproduction stuff.....
BOB RENTON

Hmmm, hadn't thought about that. I bought this new in box and shelved it in the garage cabinet for 3 yrs until now. I don't know the orientation in the box it was in upon removal.

It was face down with the shaft facing up.
That is a description that only a male contortionist could duplicate.

The Satellite has this unit.

IMG_4554.JPG

Hayden 2.JPG

Here is a standard Hayden...I think a 2747 ?

Hayden 3.JPG

Note the obvious difference:

Hayden 4.JPG

Hayden 5.JPG

Even with the stubby 2947, the ribs on the clutch are about 3/4" from the radiator core. I have a 2947 on this car:

JF 7.JPG

I had the room to use a standard one, I just used the 2947 because it was new and because I already had it here.

And KD with that 2947 you report you have no excessive noise like we're experiencing with my new 2947. My bad luck.

You went for a ride with me in Jigsaw and I don't recall the fan being obnoxious like the REST of the car!

Dash 4 D.jpg
IMG_8293.JPG
XH 99 A.jpg

I've driven it on the freeway a bit. I get far more wind noise than anything.
The Plymouth is screwed together MUCH tighter and has sound deadener as well as carpet so it is quiet on the road except for the fan and exhaust.
Open headers would change that.

The fan came out of Jigsaw in 20 minutes. It takes longer in cars with A/C due to the area being a bit more cramped.
Jiggy has no A/C yet.

2A8CF835-2804-4F33-8CFB-0D5B0EB71A8F.jpeg

9CCCDA36-2B43-41DF-991D-F7074D536654.jpeg

5AAD6E03-3CD8-4D58-B31D-036F4FCAFB4C.jpeg

Video? Sounds like the OP needs a new clutch? Oh and even new ones can be noisy. I replaced one on my Dakota and it sounded like a Corsair taking off for 10 or 15 min. I returned it and the next one was perfect.

The fan came out of Jigsaw in 20 minutes. It takes longer in cars with A/C due to the area being a bit more cramped.
Jiggy has no A/C yet.

View attachment 1634989

View attachment 1634991

View attachment 1634992
The old Hayden universal fan clutch assembly.......just because the blade assembly fits the clutch doesn't mean it will perform correctly....fit does not mean functionality. The steel 5 blade fan assembly has more inertia (wr2 or polar moment of inertia) than the 7 blade aluminum fan, and will slip sooner (@ a lower RPM) moving LESS air thru the radiator. WHY NOT USE the correct blade/clutch combination, combined with a properly fitted shroud. ......what is the jigsaw you are referring to? The next problem you'll ask about is over heating at low speeds with A/C running. Is the Hayden clutch just cheaper than the Mopar clutch?
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back