• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake VIN etching?

68_661charger

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I've seen at the local big name used car dealership that the used cars are all "VIN etched" on all of the windows. The car I was looking at didn't have the cars VIN on it but what looks to be a phone number and a code in lieu of the VIN. Curious me, I called what looks like the phone number and it said call cannot be completed. So, not a VIN, not a phone number, what's going on here? How will this deter anything except me not buying a car here? Are these just bogus numbers to maybe make a theif shake with fear?

The numbers aren't so much for deterring.. as they are for tracking.
So they mean something to the tracking company.

just an additional charge to make profit off like when they used to sell lo jack

I guess im just skeptical as it's not a universal system. Some cars have Vins some have tracking numbers. Maybe if there was only one company assigning and recording tracking numbers. Several companies? Useless.

Like previously said, just a way to charge extra. Same goes for Upholstery protectant, paint sealer etc. All gimmicks

I guess im just skeptical as it's not a universal system. Some cars have Vins some have tracking numbers. Maybe if there was only one company assigning and recording tracking numbers. Several companies? Useless.
One of my friends has this on his 70 Monte Carlo and I really don’t see a benefit

I guess I just look at it like this if someone steal the car all they have to do is replace the windshield

Or if he gets a rock chip or cracks the windshield and they have to replace it there goes his security lol

Yeah definitely a gimmick, definitely a way for the dealer to make more money. I don't like it as some of them are applied crooked and my eye notices junk like that.

Yeah definitely a gimmick, definitely a way for the dealer to make more money. I don't like it as some of them are applied crooked and my eye notices junk like that.
You’re right ! The ones I’ve seen all look like a really crooked prison tattoo

I just bought a 2006 toyota rav4 for my grandson and every piece of glass has the vin etched in it.

The VIN makes sense if it needs to be done. Random database numbers don't seem to have any real world value.

If the company keeping those database #s ( not random) goes under..
Then there's no more database.
I agree.

I'm going to drop this soon I promise, but at what point in the theft does a person access the "database"? Local LEO, detective, insurance adjuster.......
Yeah, I'm not getting it.

What else is that tracking number etched on?

I have bought a few old school Mopars that had numbers etched on the windows by local police departments back in the day. It made the glass impossible to sell.

Auto Transport Service
Back