• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender-mounted turn signal lamps

mopar willie

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have the dimensions to mount the upper fender-mounted turn signal indicators on a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner (B-body)? Can't seem to find the dimensions to drill the holes in the top of the fender in the '68 shop manual and don't want to screw it up as the car has a fantastic paint job on it. Any/all help would be great!

-Bill Ona

Fender-mounted indicators/availability

Yes, they did. In Hot Rod Magazine from late '67 (November edition), a road test/evaluation was done on a '68 'Runner. The test subject had fender-mounted turn signal indicators on the fenders (see top photo), and through the years, I knew of 3 such equipped cars which, on the build sheets, indicated they had the optional "light decor group" which consisted of at least a trunk light, the map light under the top of the dash, and the fender-mounted turn signal indicators. I have the pic showing them on here. I also have the complete magazine with article showing the car and the results. Pretty interesting reading even from back then too!

Attachments

• 613a_12.jpg
    613a_12.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 409
  • pontiac047rp0.jpg
    pontiac047rp0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 407
What was the date on the build sheet. Some I talked to mentioned option in later 68. Mine was built in May.

Indicators

It was 20 yrs + ago. I do remember them though being optioned as such, but those cars are probably long gone now. Just not quite sure of the time frames. I had a good friend that was really into Plymouth B-Bodys big-time and he was the one I remember owning these cars over the years. He would always make copies of the broadcast sheets and save them for reference. Has since passed away (2007) and don't know what happened to all his info. I do know the article I posted shows them on the fenders of a RM21 car and the Road Runner insignias are in the proper place and that is from Nov. '67 so, I gotta think it was possible then as well this had to be an option. I do know that Chrysler back in the day did a lot of screwy things on their cars for their customers. I own a '69 Dart Swinger 340 4-spd car (R-4 Red/Black interior) and it is an oddball too! The car has the cheap bench seat package with a 4-speed hurst fact shifter, no power steering or power brakes but has the black vinyl top, am/fm mono radio (really hard to find!), factory Airtemp Air Conditioning (no tint windows though!), and a vin #00xx (extremly low!). This car I know the history of because I purchased it from the original owner and kept it since 1974! The car was built just after change over time and it has 4 build sheets to it (2 color ones and 2 blue ones). As I said, I gotta believe they listed it as an option because I have seem them. I got a nice set of indicators for my fenders so I'm trying to get the measurments to install them.

Does anyone have the dimensions to mount the upper fender-mounted turn signal indicators on a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner (B-body)? Can't seem to find the dimensions to drill the holes in the top of the fender in the '68 shop manual and don't want to screw it up as the car has a fantastic paint job on it. Any/all help would be great!

-Bill Ona
I realize that this is an old post but I have the same issue and I don't see what I need to know in the replies. I was marking my 68 GTX fenders to mount the indicators using the dimensions provided on one of the threads here. It was 52 1/2 inches to the lens from the rear end of the fender. When I mark that position, it appears like the forward hole would be inaccessible from underneath to put the nut on the stud. There doesn't appear to be any way to access a cavity that is right behind the headlight. The wall on the front there is straight up and down but if I look underneath there is an angled piece that seems to be a gusset supporting the front wall. Has anyone run into this before? I don't want to drill a hole I can't reach!

Well, allow me to answer my own question for the potential benefit to others who stumble upon this thread: After puzzling over this for a bit I finally discovered that the angled "gusset" I referred to is actually a plastic closeout that is removable via two screws that were invisible to me thanks to a generous helping of undercoating sprayed on them at the factory. Once I removed the undercoating and the screws, the closeout gave me easy access to the area where the fasteners penetrated.

Last edited:
13 year old thread revival. Think that is a record. That said I hope you find the info you need!

Auto Transport Service
Back