• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass Hood (Bolt on) Lighter Springs/Hinges?

needacheaperhob

Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some advice.....I'm helping a friend with his 69 road runner and he's putting on a new Bolt On Fiberglass Six Pack Hood he purchased.

I've read that lighter springs or hinges should be used for the hood.

Has anyone done this on a 69 road runner and if so, what did you use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....thank you!

One of the hood suppliers actually sells lighter springs. VFN or Glasstec.

Right now I have no springs on the hinges at all. The springs do two things, they hold the hood UP and then they pull the back corners DOWN so the hood fits flush at the rear. With no springs you have to push the back down after closing the hood. HOWEVER, the springs also put tension on the hood when you're opening and closing it and I'm a little concerned they will cause the hood to crack. So right now - no springs. Attached is a photo of someone else's solution to keeping the hood up without springs.

Another thing that will likely become apparent it the front center spring at the latch. It will cause the hood to rise higher on one side.

misc 003 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).jpg

Right now I have no springs on the hinges at all. The springs do two things, they hold the hood UP and then they pull the back corners DOWN so the hood fits flush at the rear. With no springs you have to push the back down after closing the hood. HOWEVER, the springs also put tension on the hood when you're opening and closing it and I'm a little concerned they will cause the hood to crack. So right now - no springs. Attached is a photo of someone else's solution to keeping the hood up without springs.

Another thing that will likely become apparent it the front center spring at the latch. It will cause the hood to rise higher on one side.

View attachment 1625776
It’s VFN

I have a Glasstek hood on my 69 GTX and have been using factory springs since 2018 without issue.

I used a Harwood 210, gold in color (medium tension) with my fiberglass Shaker hood. They also have a 200, silver in color (Light tension) and a 215, black in color (high tension). They are all still much lighter than factory springs.

20210918_151018.jpg

The decent hardware store near me (ace, I believe) has about a hundred various springs on the wall, for you to select.
On the other hand, a friend of mine had an original 427 scoop hood on his Fairlane, and he did the exact same thing as post#2.
No prop rod.
(Though, for a race weight hood, I wouldn't use a spring at all, id use a prop rod).

I thought there was another post about this but thought maybe it was on forabodiesonly.

Looking for some advice.....I'm helping a friend with his 69 road runner and he's putting on a new Bolt On Fiberglass Six Pack Hood he purchased.

I've read that lighter springs or hinges should be used for the hood.

Has anyone done this on a 69 road runner and if so, what did you use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....thank you!
I used springs from a local hardware store. I just guesstimated what I needed....

View attachment 1625776
No problem with the hood that I had on my 66 Belvedere sticking up in the back.....also lost the 'popup' spring when I put the glass hood on it. The fast pin is a good idea but didn't want to do that.

View attachment 1625776
Thank you....Glasstec is where he got the hood. We haven't fitted it yet, hopefully it doesn't need much trimming. That's our main concern but I do like your idea for the hood support.
We're going ro install front pins, if the latch is an issue we won't install it....

I guess he didn't realize he could get springs from Glasstec so he may need to order a set but we'll try your.method and see how it works on his.

Great ideas, thank you....wish us luck on thw fitting!

I used a Harwood 210, gold in color (medium tension) with my fiberglass Shaker hood. They also have a 200, silver in color (Light tension) and a 215, black in color (high tension). They are all still much lighter than factory springs.

View attachment 1625809
Ahhhh, more than one option. Wasn't aware of that. He may opt for no springs but maybe getting a set of each would be beneficial....I'd like to get back to work on my own 69 soon....lol
Thank you for the info!

I have a Glasstek hood on my 69 GTX and have been using factory springs since 2018 without issue.
The springs on his are REALLY stiff...maybe if he had a different set of oem they may work.
Did you need to do much trimming with your hood?

I used springs from a local hardware store. I just guesstimated what I needed....

No problem with the hood that I had on my 66 Belvedere sticking up in the back.....also lost the 'popup' spring when I put the glass hood on it. The fast pin is a good idea but didn't want to do that.
Thank you....we were wondering if the "pop up" disappear...you answered that for us...we were concerned with damage in the pop up..thank you!!

The springs on his are REALLY stiff...maybe if he had a different set of oem they may work.
Did you need to do much trimming with your hood?
At the time I couldn't find the lighter set of springs so I re used the old ones. I might consider them in the future.

Cowl and fender alignment were good. The hood safety catch was off enough that it was unusable. I had to make my own scoop cutouts and underhood cut to make it fresh air. The big bummer is that it is molded after a steel hood with all the strength ribs to deal with

At the time I couldn't find the lighter set of springs so I re used the old ones. I might consider them in the future.

Cowl and fender alignment were good. The hood safety catch was off enough that it was unusable. I had to make my own scoop cutouts and underhood cut to make it fresh air. The big bummer is that it is molded after a steel hood with all the strength ribs to deal with
I think he mentioned he paid extra to have rhe scoop cut to axcept fresh air...not positive but pretty sure he had that done.

Do you have a pic of the hood on the car? I'm sure he'd love to see it after spending all that $$$ and hoping it looks good....lol

I think he mentioned he paid extra to have rhe scoop cut to axcept fresh air...not positive but pretty sure he had that done.

Do you have a pic of the hood on the car? I'm sure he'd love to see it after spending all that $$$ and hoping it looks good....lol
20181024_152424.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back