• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

The silo . . . Many questions on the purpose of it . . . Answered . . .

Is the reason for the Silo because you're putting in a lift/elevator?

Uh - I wish . . . and NO, RC did not volunteer to donate one . . .

Spiral staircase?

That's the plan . . .

Agreed.....i was just going to posts that same idea. :thumbsup:

Known fact - no matter HOW big the shop is made, I'll wish it was bigger.
Also . . . could not see using up VALUABLE shop space for a staircase . . .

So - I decided to make a spiral staircase, in a silo (to add to the "barn" style) . . .
Yes indeed . . . I think outside the box . . .

So that's the plan . . .

More later . . .

Got a break in the rain today . . . and was able to get some stuff done . . .

Forecast was for rain all day Saturday and Sunday . . . Thank goodness . . .
They were wrong again with the weather . . .

Really wonder how much more could have been done if there wasn't 2 days of rain.

After getting the 16' of silo done, also got it covered with some tin to "try" and keep
the rain out . . . got 3 days of rain in the forecast . . . UGH ! ! !

sm_shop1373.jpg

Then the task that was dreaded . . . getting back up on top to get the ridge vent and closures in place . . .
Was not looking forward to this . . . How to get a 10' piece of metal up there . . . but - figured something out . . .
And now - 4 of them are completely installed, 1 is in place to keep the rain out . . .

The good news . . . no more leaky tarps screwed down up there . . . and no leaks with all the rain ! ! !

sm_shop1375.jpg

Found this guy upside-down under a piece of plywood . . . and thought he had expired . . . but brought him in the
house - and placed him in a very little bit of water . . . the little guy perked up . . . and was still alive . . .
He's back outside in the area that I found him . . . to live another day . . . or hopefully longer . . .

sm_shop1376.jpg

After 2days of rain - no water in the silo - that' was a miracle ! ! !

sm_shop1377.jpg

Needed to get something done on the front of the building as not much has happened here recently . . .
So the next panel was put in place . . . and what happens next . . .

sm_shop1378.jpg

So right . . . can't stand the yellow color . . . so it got a coat of red to make it look better . . .

sm_shop1379.jpg

Then there was that back of this section of the shop . . . that needed some attention . . . 1st panel . . .

sm_shop1381.jpg

2nd panel got put in place . . . it would not lay flat . . . scratched my head . . . then remembered . . .
Had a piece of would that was added and it was protruding out . . . got it removed and it sits nice now . . .

sm_shop1382.jpg

Got the 3rd and last panel in place for this section of the shop . . .

Look out . . . Here comes the inspector . . . Try and look busy . . .

and what's next . . .

sm_shop1383.jpg

Of course . . . had to get rid of the yellow color . . . so it got a coat of red too . . .

sm_shop1384.jpg

Also, the blocks that were in one of the pictures above, have been set in place, need to fill them with cement.
That will allow the building of the back wall - decided to put another 10' wide 8' tall door on the back, and also
a people door . . . does NOT leave a whole lot of wall that needs to be built now . . .

Got a plan . . . got the lumber in the shop . . . now it just needs to get built . . . should be coming soon . . .

More Later . . .

Got a PLAN, a good weekend ahead of me, and a couple milestones "hoped" to be reached . . .

Wow . . . helps when you've got a plan and a direction on the project . . .

Got the last of the blockwork done - and needed to get them filled with concrete - DONE.

With that, a milestone has been reached . . . Do not believe any more concrete will need to be mixed for
THIS project ! ! !

sm_shop1385.jpg

Got a couple LED lights and have got them added to the shop - here's the downstairs . . .

sm_shop1386.jpg

And the light in the upstairs . . . now the shop can be used even when it's dark . . .

sm_shop1387.jpg

The back of the shop that has been a fight to keep the rain out - gets the tarps pulled down . . . weird feeling . . .

sm_shop1388.jpg

Get the next section of wall built . . . yup . . . that is the WHOLE section of wall . . .

sm_shop1389.jpg

With that . . . it was muscled into place . . . and the rear wall is getting started . . . Can't wait . . .

sm_shop1390.jpg

Wow . . . had to remove MORE of the tarp as it was in my way . . .

sm_shop1391.jpg

Get the next section of wall built . . . once again . . . yup, that's it ! ! !

sm_shop1392.jpg

And once again . . . with it built, the section gets muscled into place . . .

sm_shop1393.jpg

Next on the agenda . . . get the header installed over this door . . .

sm_shop1394.jpg

Things are moving along pretty quickly now and I'm really enjoying seeing the progress . . . .

Still got another day of work to get done and hopefully get it posted . . .

More Later . . .

Great weekend with a load of stuff done . . . Feels really good with all the stuff that got done ! ! !

Wow - Rock and Rolled this weekend on the projects and it shows . . .

To continue with the back wall, the header above the garage door was installed
Did this differently . . . just (1) - 2 x 12 at a time and (3) of them was VERY HEAVY . . . much easier !

sm_shop1395.jpg

Then filled in the studs above the header . . .

sm_shop1396.jpg

Got the next section of wall built ( love these "small" sections - so much easier to muscle into place )

sm_shop1397.jpg

So once it was in place, the header was installed above the people doorway . . .

sm_shop1399.jpg

And then the studs added to the wall above the header . . . and all that was left is the attachment . . . to the silo
Had some "fun" with this as the measurements and plumb were not quite working out . . . but found where the
problem was - got the walls moved as needed and everything is where it needs to be ! ! That felt good ! ! !

sm_shop1400.jpg

With the wall now done, the next phase of the construction was adding the siding to the wall . . . 1st piece . . .

sm_shop1401.jpg

Then went over to the silo . . . and removed the 10" "temp" stuff that was slapped on the end to cover things . . .
Cut the new panels so that the siding grooves matched the pattern . . .

sm_shop1402.jpg

And got that whole wall re-installed for the last time . . . this time it was permanent ! ! ! And then proceeded to
work my way around the silo, one face at a time . . .

sm_shop1403.jpg

Trying to figure out how to size them - took 1 panel ( get it wrong ) and the rest went in very nicely ! !

sm_shop1404.jpg

Got almost the entire silo ( only to the 8' mark sided . . . and it's starting to look like a shop in the back too !

sm_shop1405.jpg

Only one last thing to do for the day - get it painted ( but I've already posted my 10 pics ) next posting . . .
Got a whole lot of rain coming - will need to get the plastic back up to protect the shop . . .

And figure out how to get the silo from the 8' to the 16' height installed . . . that'll be "fun" . . .

And figure out what I'm going to do with the wall on the second floor so it can get framed in . . .

More Later . . . .

Must say I love seeing a 1 man show to see what one can create when you put your mind an dedication to it. Vary impressive for sure. Did you draw up plans for this ? Wing it ? How much though did you put into it before you broke ground?

Auto Transport Service
Back