• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally tracked down! Kick down linkage

FranksCoronet

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Returning once again for this same problem, cleaned up the auto choke and replaced the throttle cable but the issue still remained. Going down the street, a little gas = okay. A little more is gas pedal on the floor and not coming back. I've tracked it down to the kick down linkage I believe. Anyone have and information or pictures that could help me fix mine?

Thanks

oyou guys can see my last two posts about this same issue here

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/wild-ride-in-the-70-coronet.140029/#post-910798843

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...18-la-70-coronet.140479/page-2#post-910810041

IMG_3980.JPG

Not sure if the small block linkage is the same as a big block but, if it is you are missing a spring that holds the kick down rod to the carb linkage. In this picture you posted you have 2 springs coming from the front. I think the narrow spring on the outside goes to the kick down linkage bracket towards the back. See how far back your slot is located? The back side of the slot should rest on the pin. As you give it gas the slotted part moves back with the throttle linkage. You have no spring pulling it back forward. This might be hanging your **** up.

img_2203-jpg.jpg

Your springs should look like this.

j8obog.jpg

Last edited:
The kickdown lever is supposed to move at the exact same time as the throttle. I'm betting your trans shifts way early under light throttle.....

I'm a master artist with paint so please don't ask me to autograph this picture. But see if this makes sense to you. That will be 1 hour shop time 60.00 and 200.00 for my one of a kind art work. Thanks you can send all the money to my credit card company. :)

img_2203-jpg.jpg
j8obog.jpg

I'm a master artist with paint so please don't ask me to autograph this picture. But see if this makes sense to you. That will be 1 hour shop time 60.00 and 200.00 for my one of a kind art work. Thanks you can send all the money to my credit card company. :)

View attachment 546839 View attachment 546840

Thanks for the illustration and the help! It means a lot. Could spring really be it? I'll switch it around tomorrow after school. Also I got a new throttle cable. Well two actually. I put one on and when the pedal stuck to the floor the whole thing got messed up so I have a new one ready to go. ill post an update when I can

B
Also yes your cable is boogered up. In that picture you posted. And here is a non OEM replacement for 17.00 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=65123&cc=1496016&jsn=523

But my only concern is that the spring had always been like that and all of a sudden it has this problem. It's always been in that position and the day it happened my friend blindly reached under the air filter and yanked back the kickdown instead of the throttle by accident. Could that have caused a bigger issue? I'm just worried cause it keeps happening. And the day it happened the first time there was very loud bang when the pedal went down

It may not fix the problem but it will make your transmission last longer with proper pump pressure. If that linkage is just staying back and not pulling forward like it should then the pump is not working correctly. And if something is sticking or jamming up because its not pulling back forward it could be an issue. But the cable and fixing that spring should help it greatly.

If he just yanked back the kick down linkage it would just apply more pump pressure to the transmission. I don't think it would cause any harm. I do believe the cable coming through the firewall might be getting hung up with it looking like that. Its worth the few bucks to know its new and not part of the issue. But that spring does need to pull the kickdown back forward.

In the other topic. The guy posted this picture which shows that rear spring and where it goes.
imgp9953-jpg.jpg

Upgrade to a 4 barrel intake and carb, buy a bouchilon kickdown setup and you're good to go.

Auto Transport Service
Back