• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers?

Not gonna get those big Hemi cans under the Dart. I also don't want to change the pipes, or hangers, so stuck with similar dimensions to what's under the car. 2.5" in and out.
View attachment 1115415
Yeah - forgot you have the Dart, my car is a '63 Fury. The 50's are 17" case and the hemi's are 20" so had the car on a lift to to see about fitting and looks to be an ok insert. I couldn't go with resonators, no room with the big pipes, but that's a nice option if they can be fitted. I'm not dumping my system either so have to install reducers - hemi mufflers have 2.5" inlet and 2.25" outlet. Will see...

Hoping these Dynomaxs work, as while it's kinda neat with this thing sounding nasty and rumbling up to a stop light it grows old in a hurry. With a Wife that's never fully recovered from a concussion, she isn't gonna drive this thing as much as she would unless I can get it quieted down. Note in the video, where you can't even hear my Bee running beside the Dart. You can just barely hear it with my camera RIGHT behind the tail pipes and the Bee has a fairly cammed idle to it sitting solo.

I have used a few sets on Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5" mufflers, and like them. Fairly quiet, but that seems to be what I prefer as I age. I used a set of them in 3" on my Bee and they are noticeably louder than the 2.5" versions. I used to run Flowmasters years ago, but the noise and drone drove me nuts after awhile. Tried their 50 series once, I think it is listed as a RV application. That was much better than the 40 series, but still kind of obnoxious.
I run the 50 series big block at 3 1/2 on my car, and i LOVE the sound. There are days i go out to the car and fire it up, just to hear it. No drone, but ive got 3 1/2 tailpipes to the bumper.
There is NO WAY they could fit under dadsbee's dart however. They are monstrous, and i think intended for a truck/rv application.

I run the 50 series big block at 3 1/2 on my car, and i LOVE the sound. There are days i go out to the car and fire it up, just to hear it. No drone, but ive got 3 1/2 tailpipes to the bumper.
There is NO WAY they could fit under dadsbee's dart however. They are monstrous, and i think intended for a truck/rv application.
Agree. If I went back to running Flowmasters, the 50's are what I would use.

Hoping these Dynomaxs work, as while it's kinda neat with this thing sounding nasty and rumbling up to a stop light it grows old in a hurry. With a Wife that's never fully recovered from a concussion, she isn't gonna drive this thing as much as she would unless I can get it quieted down. Note in the video, where you can't even hear my Bee running beside the Dart. You can just barely hear it with my camera RIGHT behind the tail pipes and the Bee has a fairly cammed idle to it sitting solo.
I'm pretty confident that the turbos will quiet it down quite a bit. But if it is still not enough, you could put the above mentioned resonators (or a pair of small glasspacks) in front of the turbos, in a straight section of pipe.
The resonators used to be behind the mufflers, but current practice with the mufflers at the rear of the new cars, the resonators seem to be in front.
I still think the turbos will be quiet enough.
(And heck, i didnt even know the bee was running.....but my hearing isnt what it ought to be, either.)

I have the 50's on mine with 3"/headers...I DO like how they sound and get many compliments - but - too loud cruising at 2800 rpm and there's some intermittent drone that occurs when they feel like it, lol.

Let us know how the super turbos work out.

The FlowFX mufflers look similar to the Dynomax welded ultraflow I had on a 1968 440 Dart. 2 1/2" Pypes brand full exhaust with X pipe. They were too loud and had a drone. I thought about adding glasspacks as resonators in the tail pipe like @Garngie suggested but never did.

My problem with super turbos besides being restrictive, is one good backfire could destroy them.
To your point about Super Turbo's being restrictive, if you go to here- https://www.classicmusclecarexhaust.com/exhaust-101 and scroll down to the Dynomax section, there's a link to their "Power Tech Index". It's a chart that gives the CFM ratings of each of their mufflers and exactly how much HP they can handle before becoming a restriction. Very interesting.

Hope those dynomax don't become another shipping saga.

Hope those dynomax don't become another shipping saga.
In stock and shipped right from the shelves of Amazon.ca.... or supposedly. How they ship for free is beyond me... well not really, why couriers have doubled their pricing for all our other stuff!

I’m running 3” FlowFX bullet style mufflers on the Satellite. They don’t knock much sound down, I can verify that much. This is primarily a bracket car though, so I’m living with it.

A71ADC0D-7A71-46E9-8C8F-B08C045E9AF5.jpeg

I’ve always liked Magnaflow. Nice and quiet while cruising, no drone. Crack the throttle and they sound just right.

Just installed 2" full length headers and welded together a 2,5" exhaustsystem for my RR (440). I was tired of chambered style mufflers, so I decided to try the 2,5" Flowmaster Flow FX this time, and do NOT regret it. For me it is the perfect sound. Deep, isolated sound at idle and cruise (without drone), and screams to life when the throttle is opened.

I know you were was asking about FM FX mufflers but it looks like you purchased Dynomax Turbos.
I run a small block with HiPo 340 manifolds and 2 1/2" with H pipe and FM 40's. Couldn't get rid of the drone. Switched to the 17733 Turbos for sound and flow and was a bit too quiet for me. Just installed long tube headers and it made a huge difference. Sounds great now. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back