• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering the car but turning the control arm?

Yeah that's what what it looks like on our car. I guess the adjuster needs to go super high then. I'm not the one who installed these or even knew it was an issue but here we are.

One more thought, check the end of the torsion bars for right and left. If you don't see a R or L check the part numbers. Being heavy duty torsion bars they could be installed on opposite sides.
20230819_114013.jpg

Alright the other guys on the team did some digging while I was working. So the car had some sort of sway bar on it. We completely removed it but it was not binding up. Either way its completely off at this point. Torsion bars were checked and they are labeled L and R. Bother were in their correct side.

Going to start off with the car on the ground. This was still on one of the short 15s. 245/40/15. Yes it was rolling around on miata size tires. We are changing over to something around a 275/35/18. Rest of the pictures are from it in the air. Also we know the bump stop is gone. Its on the repair list. I think if it had one it would be sitting on it it while the car is on the ground.

423455020_599089159089011_1781478413599295955_n.jpg

Looking at the angle of the upper it just seems way to low. Or is this where it should be.

Here is the adjuster. This has just a few turns in it so they are not loose. I figure if they do not need to be rattling. Or can they rattle?

423568613_1069124257502190_4230683098196354946_n.jpg

423568695_715385687420714_1585928945941748116_n.jpg

Here is an overall shot of it.

423599719_2078943972486337_3776641927636770487_n.jpg

423599751_421643773644278_6120945464397489189_n.jpg

I figure you guys could look at it and see what you think. Maybe we can still go lower on the preload bolts? I just figured its not something you want to come unloaded in a corner. Especially on a race car. What do you guys think.

Alright the other guys on the team did some digging while I was working. So the car had some sort of sway bar on it. We completely removed it but it was not binding up. Either way its completely off at this point. Torsion bars were checked and they are labeled L and R. Bother were in their correct side.

Going to start off with the car on the ground. This was still on one of the short 15s. 245/40/15. Yes it was rolling around on miata size tires. We are changing over to something around a 275/35/18. Rest of the pictures are from it in the air. Also we know the bump stop is gone. Its on the repair list. I think if it had one it would be sitting on it it while the car is on the ground.

View attachment 1621578

Looking at the angle of the upper it just seems way to low. Or is this where it should be.

Here is the adjuster. This has just a few turns in it so they are not loose. I figure if they do not need to be rattling. Or can they rattle?

View attachment 1621579

View attachment 1621580

Here is an overall shot of it.

View attachment 1621581

View attachment 1621582

I figure you guys could look at it and see what you think. Maybe we can still go lower on the preload bolts? I just figured its not something you want to come unloaded in a corner. Especially on a race car. What do you guys think.
That adjuster in my world is almost fully cranked, regardless of any pre load.

That adjuster in my world is almost fully cranked, regardless of any pre load.

So just got off the phone with firm feel. He said the same thing. Pretty much the adjusters can be loose in the air but not on the ground. Next step is crank the bars down.....way way down.

What size/offset wheel is that... and is that the 275/35-18 you mentioned above? That's about the exact fit I want on my '71 Coronet.
Not enough. It's actually a wheel off buddies 350z. I have the same. 18x10 et 25. It's getting spacers to clear. But we are balling on a 10k budget and wheels are not in that. So stealing our 350z wheels for this April lemons race. I think that tire is either a 265 or 275/35/18. Chances are we are going to order some rs4 for April. Something 275/285ish 35 18

Last edited:
Not enough. It's actually a wheel off buddies 350z. I have the same. 18x10 et 25. It's getting spacers to clear. But we are balling on a 10k budget and wheels are not in that. So stealing our 350z wheels for this April lemons race. I think that tire is either a 265 or 275/35/18. Chances are we are going to order some rs4 for April. Something 275/285ish 35 18
Thanks! Ya I'd imagine with a 10" wheel and 25mm offset you'd need spacers. RS4's are a pretty decent compromise between grip and longevity. Keep us updated when you get it all sorted, nice to see someone else having fun with a '71+ Coronet!

Thanks! Ya I'd imagine with a 10" wheel and 25mm offset you'd need spacers. RS4's are a pretty decent compromise between grip and longevity. Keep us updated when you get it all sorted, nice to see someone else having fun with a '71+ Coronet!

Yeah we have many miles on the RS4. This was our first lemons car. Then we went to a miata and did 12 races and about 10k race miles. Most of those on the Rs4. We won a lucky dog championship, almost won a full 24 hour race. 2nd out of 89 in that one. The RS4 last on track and can take some heat. Its it the fastest no but they wear very well. We sold the miata off and I already miss it. But time to bring back the coronet before it rotted away. Shoot this car should have become beer cans years ago. But here it is.

We figure an inch spacer should help it clear everything. It would probably be better on a 9 inch wheel but here we are with 10inch stuff. I mean they are our wheels for our spec 350z cars which allow 18x10s and run 295 toyo rr.

Turned the adjustment bolts out?
Yep. Found out that they can be loose in the air. I thought they needed to be stiff at all times. Kind of like now my miatas springs would get loose in the air. Either way I was over thinking everything. Just loosened the bolts and bam everything is fixed.

We figure an inch spacer should help it clear everything. It would probably be better on a 9 inch wheel but here we are with 10inch stuff. I mean they are our wheels for our spec 350z cars which allow 18x10s and run 295 toyo rr.
A 10"-11" wheel is about perfect width for a 275 width tire. A 9" wouldn't support the sidewall as well, so you'd lose a little time there. Since you know Miatas, you likely know 949Racing. They did some back to back testing on track with same tires (225/45-15) and gained a second a lap going from an 8" wheel to a 9" wheel. Same tires, same track, same day, same car. The 9" wheel gave a very slight stretch, which gives the best sidewall support.

A 10"-11" wheel is about perfect width for a 275 width tire. A 9" wouldn't support the sidewall as well, so you'd lose a little time there. Since you know Miatas, you likely know 949Racing. They did some back to back testing on track with same tires (225/45-15) and gained a second a lap going from an 8" wheel to a 9" wheel. Same tires, same track, same day, same car. The 9" wheel gives a very slight stretch, which gives the best sidewall support.
I wonder if it might actually be like tire sidewall camber at play with the same benefits of front end camber?

I wonder if it might actually be like tire sidewall camber at play with the same benefits of front end camber?
The people that did the testing concluded that better sidewall support made the car easier to drive, leading to a corresponding faster lap time. The people doing the testing are experienced racers, with a LOT of suspension development experience.

The people that did the testing concluded that better sidewall support made the car easier to drive, leading to a corresponding faster lap time. The people doing the testing are experienced racers, with a LOT of suspension development experience.
The experience of the testers is not in contention by me. It's more like why the Eiffel tower has a widening angled base vs a straight vertical tower analogy. I also have no idea how "stretch" properly applies here as a positive in this context. Significant stretch is rather uncommon aspect for a tire.
Enlighten me.

Auto Transport Service
Back