• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford Tried To Be Tesla, And It Cost The Company Billions

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score

Ford cut the price of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup, and its stock price has taken a dive.

What they don't talk about in the article is the range of the 100 mile (max) range when towing.

Ford CEO Jim Farley pats a Ford F-150 Lightning truck before announcing at a press conference that Ford Motor Company will be partnering with the world's largest battery company, a China-based company called Contemporary Amperex Technology, to create an electric-vehicle battery plant in Marshall, Michigan, on February 13, 2023 in Romulus, Michigan.

Ford CEO Jim Farley is really into the F-150 Lightning.Photo: Bill Pugliano (Getty Images)

Ford tried really hard to be Tesla, and by most accounts, so far, it hasn’t quite worked. Ford attempted to copy Tesla’s script for selling electric vehicles, according to Bloomberg: ramp up production, leverage economies of scale to lower costs, and make vehicles affordable enough for a mass market.

It’s a plan that has worked out really well for Tesla. The outlet reports that the company’s stock has more than doubled in 2023, even as it has cut the prices of its cars. Ford, on the other hand? Well, things haven’t gone so well. The Blue Oval did something similar, and it wiped out about $3.6 billion in market value in just one day.
According to Bloomberg, Ford has announced it is going to triple the production rate of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup, which was initially supposed to sticker at around $40,000. Prices never really got close to that, though. The COVID-19 pandemic led to parts shortages and inflation issues that saw the F-150 Lightning get more expensive. Now, Ford is finally cutting Lightning prices by thousands of dollars in an attempt to maybe get costs back where they should be.

Investors didn’t like the move of cutting prices by as much as 17 percent, apparently. Ford shares dropped 5.9 percent — its biggest drop in five months, according to Bloomberg. It should be noted that even with those cuts, Ford is still charging about $10,000 more per truck than it initially planned. Even Tesla CEO Elon Musk is calling the F-150 Lightning expensive.

It should definitely be noted that Ford’s Lightning price cuts also coincide with Tesla announcing it had started production of its Cybertruck about two years behind schedule. At the same time, Rivian is reportedly ramping up output of its R1T pickup.

Ford is counting on demand for combustion F-Series trucks — the top-selling vehicle line in the US since the Reagan administration — carrying over to the electric versions. In addition to targeting a 150,000 annual run rate of F-150 Lightning output after its Michigan factory reopens next month following a few weeks of downtime, a second-generation electric pickup will go into production starting in 2025. The new factory for that model, sprouting up in Tennessee, will have the capacity to make half a million vehicles a year.
That’s what may have been most unsettling of all about Ford’s announcement for investors — that the company would drop prices this much and this early in its transition to electric trucks.

Investors fear this fits recent noted themes of high US EV inventories,” an industry analyst told Bloomberg. “Time will tell if the Ford price cut was demand or supply.”

That being said, the analyst did say it was probably a little bit of both. If Ford has taught us anything, it’s that it ain’t easy bein’ blue.

And it’s still $20k too high.

Let me see..... a $60,000 truck that will go 100 miles..... or a $10,000 truck that can tow 600 miles. Gimme some time to think, here........

Ya' go woke ya' go broke...

seems to be proven out more & more, over & over again

Ford cut the price of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup, and its stock price has taken a dive.

What they don't talk about in the article is the range of the 100 mile (max) range when towing.

View attachment 1496629
Ford CEO Jim Farley is really into the F-150 Lightning.Photo: Bill Pugliano (Getty Images)

Ford tried really hard to be Tesla, and by most accounts, so far, it hasn’t quite worked. Ford attempted to copy Tesla’s script for selling electric vehicles, according to Bloomberg: ramp up production, leverage economies of scale to lower costs, and make vehicles affordable enough for a mass market.

It’s a plan that has worked out really well for Tesla. The outlet reports that the company’s stock has more than doubled in 2023, even as it has cut the prices of its cars. Ford, on the other hand? Well, things haven’t gone so well. The Blue Oval did something similar, and it wiped out about $3.6 billion in market value in just one day.
According to Bloomberg, Ford has announced it is going to triple the production rate of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup, which was initially supposed to sticker at around $40,000. Prices never really got close to that, though. The COVID-19 pandemic led to parts shortages and inflation issues that saw the F-150 Lightning get more expensive. Now, Ford is finally cutting Lightning prices by thousands of dollars in an attempt to maybe get costs back where they should be.

Investors didn’t like the move of cutting prices by as much as 17 percent, apparently. Ford shares dropped 5.9 percent — its biggest drop in five months, according to Bloomberg. It should be noted that even with those cuts, Ford is still charging about $10,000 more per truck than it initially planned. Even Tesla CEO Elon Musk is calling the F-150 Lightning expensive.

It should definitely be noted that Ford’s Lightning price cuts also coincide with Tesla announcing it had started production of its Cybertruck about two years behind schedule. At the same time, Rivian is reportedly ramping up output of its R1T pickup.

Investors fear this fits recent noted themes of high US EV inventories,” an industry analyst told Bloomberg. “Time will tell if the Ford price cut was demand or supply.”

That being said, the analyst did say it was probably a little bit of both. If Ford has taught us anything, it’s that it ain’t easy bein’ blue.

But., But BUT we will all die last month if we don’t buy one!!!!!

How the hell does he still have a job?
Besides the EV debacle.
870,000+ f150s recalled due to E brake can suddenly come on. Now another 1/4 million exploders for driveshaft issue that make it roll away.

Last edited:
"We are going to cut the selling price to build a better quality product."
Said no businessman, ever.

Ford will remain a $10 stock for the rest of time. Thanks
Super popular models sell like crazy F150, Exploder, Mustang......
Still $10.

EV's GOVERNMENT "BAIL-OUT" COMING IN 2025!! To "BIG TO FAIL"
Cash for Clunkers 2: Electric Boogaloo

Coming to a town near you!
Last time the "trade in credit" cost tax payers over $18k per vehicle that was traded in.

View attachment 1496629

They are pushing a technology that is not practical right now. If they can find a way for the batteries to charge while drive, and not burn your house down, or roast you in an accident fine. Chrysler is going to get it's *** handed to them going electric, but i have a feeling the twin turbo hurricane six will land in some variation of a performance car, damn them for killing the gen 3 hemi, or i should say poly.

And it’s still $20k too high.
at least $40k too much
even then I'd pass, it's an EV, fad
not worthy of buying

$119k+ was the price I saw on them when down at Sonora Ford,
back in Nov. 2022

The Maverick AWD ICE, lil' 4 banger turbo'd POS pick Up,
loaded 26 options, is way, way over priced too, it was $61k+ loaded,
traded in my 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6 speed 7.3ltr PS Diesel/150k miles
immaculate condition & some cash
(the dealership GM wanted the F350 for himself, badly, a rare 6 speed version)
I got the Maverick for like $48k out the door, still way, way too much
a guy ordered it special, & when it finally came in
the guy who ordered it, couldn't come up with the cash, or proper financing,
it sat on the lot for a couple of months, no takers
so I got a deal on it (sort of, I never really liked it)
but;
My Dad had to have it :poke:
Then;
I turned that lil' POS Maverick Lariot AWD back in after a couple of months,
he ended up hating driving it, too low to the ground...
He was used to driving my Dually, sitting up way higher...
2022 Ranger Lariot Maverick Alto Blue 10-13-2022 #3.JPG

2022 Ranger Lariot Maverick Alto Blue 10-13-2022 #6.JPG

sold the 5th wheel trailer to recoup some of the cost too
2002 F350 Powr Stroke Diesel Dually & 27' Jayco Designer Trailer 002.JPG

So;
I bought a Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition,
what I told him we should get to begin with :BangHead:
nice special 17" wheels upgraded 295/70/17s (33.4")
offroad package a lil' lift, locker front & rear, 4.17:1 gears
(ain't cheap either MSRP was $61K got it for $12k cash, made dad pay it
out the door/tax & lic. included, after trading-back-in the Maverick)
It's a de-badged White/Black version/no decals, 4x4 & tow package
has the nice black graphite all-leather/red stitched interior loaded :blah:
you name it, it has the option, stuff he will never ever use...
This/these was/were mainly for him to drive, his last vehicle probably
I wanted him to be happy, but in a smaller rig than my dually was, he's 86...

2020 Gladiator Rubicon - 11-30-2022 1st day 003.JPG

2020 Gladiator Rubicon - 11-30-2022 1st day 009.JPG

Unfortunately;
that my Dad put diesel in by mistake back in late Sept. (had a senior moment),
going down to Modesto for a Dr.s appt., he put 3/4s of a tank of diesel
& then drove it for about 25 miles, it died (of course it did)
& he kept trying to start & drive it
& it hydro-locked the engine :BangHead:

The UAW Stellanis strike started right after that, about 10 days or so
we had already got the order in for a 'new' 3.6ltr Pentastar
Engines were 30 days out before the UAW strike,
we're still waiting on the "new" engine...

Surprisingly our insurance is "allegedly" covering it/$100 deductable...
It was gonna be on his dime otherwise...

Last edited:
at least $40k too much
even then I'd pass, it's an EV, fad
not worthy of buying

$119k+ was the price I saw on them when down at Sonora Ford,
back in Nov. 2022

The Maverick AWD ICE, lil' 4 banger turbo'd POS pick Up,
loaded 26 options, is way, way over priced too, it was $61k+ loaded,
traded in my 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6 speed 7.3ltr PS Diesel/150k miles
immaculate condition & some cash
(the dealership GM wanted the F350 for himself, badly, a rare 6 speed version)
I got the Maverick for like $48k out the door, still way, way too much
a guy ordered it special, & when it finally came in
the guy who ordered it, couldn't come up with the cash, or proper financing,
it sat on the lot for a couple of months, no takers
so I got a deal on it (sort of, I never really liked it)
but;
My Dad had to have it :poke:
Then;
I turned that lil' POS Maverick Lariot AWD back in after a couple of months,
he ended up hating driving it, too low to the ground...
He was used to driving my Dually, sitting up way higher...
View attachment 1550594

View attachment 1550595
sold the 5th wheel trailer to recoup some of the cost too
View attachment 1550598

So;
I bought a Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition,
what I told him we should get to begin with :BangHead:
nice special 17" wheels upgraded 295/70/17s (33.4")
offroad package a lil' lift, locker front & rear, 4.17:1 gears
(ain't cheap either MSRP was $61K got it for $12k cash, made dad pay it
out the door/tax & lic. included, after trading-back-in the Maverick)
It's a de-badged White/Black version/no decals, 4x4 & tow package
has the nice black graphite all-leather/red stitched interior loaded :blah:
you name it, it has the option, stuff he will never ever use...
This/these was/were mainly for him to drive, his last vehicle probably
I wanted him to be happy, but in a smaller rig than my dually was, he's 86...

View attachment 1550596

View attachment 1550597

Unfortunately;
that my Dad put diesel in by mistake back in late Sept. (had a senior moment),
going down to Modesto for a Dr.s appt., he put 3/4s of a tank of diesel
& then drove it for about 25 miles, it died (of course it did)
& he kept trying to start & drive it
& it hydro-locked the engine :BangHead:

The UAW Stellanis strike started right after that, about 10 days or so
we had already got the order in for a 'new' 3.6ltr Pentastar
Engines were 30 days out before the UAW strike,
we're still waiting on the "new" engine...

Surprisingly our insurance is "allegedly" covering it/$100 deductable...
It was gonna be on his dime otherwise...
Wait? 61k for a Maverick. Where I live you can get the turbo 4 banger loaded for 36 to 38k, California?

We can only hope all this sort of thing will kill the EV only move sooner rather than later.

Yep, and if this dude is correct everyone is ditching the all EV crap, and a bonus!

All 3 of the big 3 UAW ran are profitable,
they get HUGE subsidies we all pay for to sell their cars
Even among their Billions of $$$ in losses (too big to fail)
with the govt. paying (our tax dollars) a huge part of the losses
& then Govt. (or tax $$) another $7k incentives to buy
the VOLT was like $27k per car subsidies (our tax $$)
to GM they were pushing the EVs under (B Hussein O's rein)
On Roids in Jan 2009 - Jan 20017, taxpayers $$$s & incentives to buy on top of that
basically, we paid/funded it for it to be built,
then got sales incentives to buy it back after it was built...

Current pResident in the WH 1600 penn. ave.,
is taking a play out of B Hussein O's book
& now more taxpayers funded for assembly & plant retooling ($9 Billion each(?) too,
on top of incentives,
(it's our taxes money, not theirs, they sure act like it is theirs thou)
Just to attempt to sell, only like 3%-5% PUSH THEM, the market share,
if even that...
That seemingly nobody wants...

Typical govt./Union backed BS
backing loser

Great Panzi scheme

Last edited:
Heard on the radio that Tesla is now in second place for EVs.

Believe it or not awhile back I had heard Tesla had surpassed Toyota in sales volume for all cars here in the looney bin state. Toyota has reigned for years but no more. Those things are everywhere out here.

Auto Transport Service
Back