• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a modified Weiland Tunnel Ram for 383/400…thoughts?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
I don’t “need” this, but I found it for $200 locally. I should be picking it up tomorrow. It supposedly came from a guy who was big into drag racing back in the day.

I am planning on an Indy single plane for my build, but this thing is cool! It needs to be cleaned up, and seems to have been opened up to max wedge port size?

Any idea why the other areas might have been machined or routed out on the mounting surfaces?

Also, I havent seen any of these fitted to max wedge heads…is it possible it might fit on trick flow 270s?

97AE6EA0-1B6B-470C-BED4-9C5FFE314167.jpeg

0EE3466A-DE6F-40E7-9BCB-98A61749E55A.jpeg

28B82573-F7E5-484C-8316-30470F135380.jpeg

CC48FB45-C09C-404D-A591-CD5AE76642F4.jpeg

A17024DD-2B68-40A7-BA67-306D7CFD1910.jpeg

F70C645C-0D07-4688-8513-923815BFC8A5.jpeg

WAAAYYY better intakes available today For power. That’s why it’s so cheap.

what are you doing with this car? Trying to look the part, or want it to have good power?

WAAAYYY better intakes available today For power. That’s why it’s so cheap.

what are you doing with this car? Trying to look the part, or want it to have good power?
Like I said, I’m using an Indy max wedge single plane intake. I’d only really be buying this to “have a tunnel ram” really. I feel like these are usually listed at $400-550. $200 locally seemed like a decent deal.

And to my knowledge there are only 2-3 currently produced low-deck max-wedge intakes available. Choices are far greater for the RBs. If it’s something that could be mounted on my current 400/512 build if I wanted, that could be fun. I’m just not sure anyone’s attempted it.

Somebody's first attempt at Port matching that didn't go to well.
Max wedge ports are considerable raised, and these look like they were ground out more on the bottom (!)

There was someone awhile back looking for a B motor Tunnel Ram to adapt to another engine maybe a AMC? I don't recall... The port layout & spacing was close, he planned to cut the port flange off & Tig on a set of custom machined plates.... This has his name all over it...

If I had a low deck 512, and max port heads, I'd sure give it a shot for $200. But his market is obviously limited, since its been so carved up. Offer $125-$150.
(And the dual quad top is worth that. I've got a buddy with a Weiand tunnel on a 440 with two 750s. Runs well, high sixes 1/8, at 3800 lbs.
As for the gouges on the mount surface, my guess would be for something to retain a valley plate.

Last edited:
Maybe the dude was trying to port match to a set of milled cylinder heads with the intake sitting up too high. Sometimes $200 is too much. I think I'd offer $100 because you'll probably be hanging it on the wall.

Tunnel rams are awesome when you tune for them correctly...but that one looks like somebody's failed science experiment. Waste of money.

Factory MW heads have port openings that are both higher....... and lower than std ports.

MP MW gasket on a Stealth head.
6ACF2342-ADD9-4388-A76A-2A1F920AA14C.jpeg

I would pay that for a wall hanger. I just like that neat old stuff.

Factory MW heads have port openings that are both higher....... and lower than std ports.

MP MW gasket on a Stealth head.
View attachment 1501239
Yep. I've got a tm7 that was modified to work with a maxwedge port. The top of the port had to have a piece of aluminum welded on to account for the height increase, and the bottom of the manifold port is only about an 1/8" thick.

Auto Transport Service
Back