• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Connectors

thanks pops. i recall reading that for the first time back when it was published

Used Auto Rust Technicians weld in connectors. They have cutouts to run the brake cables perfectly. They fit great. I andded some mending plates on the sides for some more strength. I have a 68 coronet convertible and they worked so well i had to soften up the shock settings!.. I would recommend using XV shock tower braces also.. That's my next step..

frame connectors and torque boxes

May 20th, 2011 012.jpgMay 20th, 2011 013.jpgMay 20th, 2011 017.jpg

Auto rust technicians

Nothing about weld in connectors will devalue your car......unless you do such a crappy job installing them that it reduces value. It's a good upgrade and one the factory should have made. Properly installed, they can look like they came in the car. I think every unibody Mopar should have them. I plan on putting them in my 63 slant six Dart.....IF it ever gets built.

I disagree with that and I have the US Car Tool laser cut to the floor pan ones in my Hemi car. I thought long and hard brfore deciding to put them in but in the end since the car was bought new to race that it was the right thing to do for a car that SHOULD be raced still. However, you can bet that a new potential buyer will bitch abought it devaluing the car for having them.

Also, as said earlier in this thread, even though they are laser cut to follow the floor pan of the car there is a lot of final fitting to be done and mine also took about 8 hours to install. They DO make an incredible difference in the structural integrity of the body and I am happy that I did it. If I had it ti do over again the only thing I would do is request when I bought them that they did not put the US Car Tool in the metal on the sides of them. If not for that the casual observer with the car on the hoist would thing they are the factory unibody.

Attachments

• 66HEMITORQUEFRAMECONN2.jpg
    66HEMITORQUEFRAMECONN2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 66HEMITORQUEFRAMECONN.jpg
    66HEMITORQUEFRAMECONN.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 206
Yeah well.....if the "new potential buyer" wants to bitch about um, I say find another new potential buyer, cause that one is a dumbass. lol

I see what you're sayin though. Some people use any means necessary to get somethin knocked off a price.

Yours look great, btw. Looks like the factory put um there.

So just to clarify, the US Car Tool pre contoured connectors just need some quality time with a die grinder to fine-fit? Yours look great 6pack

That's correct. If you go on their site, they have pics and videos of installations. I have even read where some people haven't had to do any trimming at all.

That's correct. If you go on their site, they have pics and videos of installations. I have even read where some people haven't had to do any trimming at all.

That would be highly unusual. I spoke with John the owner of US Car Tool about it when I bought and had mine installed and he told me that the jig was mocked up from a 69 B body but that even in the same years there are differences from car to car from the factory. Count on about 8 hours install work average If you want them welded full length without any gaps.

Here are some additional pictures of mine

Attachments

• 66HEMIFLOORPAN.jpg
    66HEMIFLOORPAN.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 66HEMIFLOORPAN2.jpg
    66HEMIFLOORPAN2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 216
  • 66HEMIFLOORPAN3.jpg
    66HEMIFLOORPAN3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 66HEMIFLOORPAN4.jpg
    66HEMIFLOORPAN4.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 66HEMIFLOORPAN5.jpg
    66HEMIFLOORPAN5.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
That would be highly unusual. I spoke with John the owner of US Car Tool about it when I bought and had mine installed and he told me that the jig was mocked up from a 69 B body but that even in the same years there are differences from car to car from the factory. Count on about 8 hours install work average If you want them welded full length without any gaps.

I don't disagree. I just remember a FABO member gettin a pair and literally all he had to do was grind the paint off and go. It was crazy.

Wouldn't the factory have spot welded them to the floor pan?? Sorry, being a smart ***. Nice looking connectors 696pack.

Used Auto Rust Technicians weld in connectors. They have cutouts to run the brake cables perfectly. They fit great. I andded some mending plates on the sides for some more strength. I have a 68 coronet convertible and they worked so well i had to soften up the shock settings!.. I would recommend using XV shock tower braces also.. That's my next step..

Hey hustle on over to the welcome wagon and share some pics of the 68 Corrie convert you've got. Also some pics here of what you are talking about would be cool. Welcome aboard.

Awesome, that's what I figured would happen with any "contoured" connectors because of variance on floorpans like you guys are saying. But damn do they look nice installed! I'd call the chassis rigidity worth more than the 8 hours of grinding :icon_thumleft:

Definitely going with them and torque boxes on my charger.

No doubt they are worth every bit of effort. It's not a small job. You ARE adding to the frame, after all.

I can see where welding them to the floor would be stiffer. I built my own allot like hunt2elk, same size box but built mine like Hotckins subframe connectors. I liked them because they bolt right into the rear leaf mounts and straight forward welding in directly inline with the forward subframes. I read that you should only weld them in when the car is sitting on all fours with full weight, I bolted mine into the leaf mounts and am waiting until the interior is in to weld them to the crossmember. Don't have ant pics but can take some if you like.

You CAN install them on a rotisserie. But if you do, you damn well better have the car down to a bare shell. Any extra weight would get the car out of square with it not being supported by the suspension.

Just buy some 2x2 tubing and weld it up from the torsion bar anchors to the rear spring perch.. Works really good.

Auto Transport Service
Back