• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump pushrod query

uk-maxie

Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone had any success in finding a good source of aftermarket fuel pump pushrods?

Our 440's is showing signs of wear (about 2.4mm / 0.095" down on the original length) so we thought we could do with replacing it while the fuel pump is off.

Hughes do a hardened version but we're not sure if that's a good idea; surely it doesnt want to be harder than the cam?

http://www.hughesengines.com:80/Ind...ROD&submit=Go&searchmode=keyword&partid=10201

On the other hand, I read over on Moparts that the only good ones are the originals and that virtually all aftermarket parts wear too quick, especially those from MP and Mancini :confused2:

Oh and one last thing.... does anyone know for sure the original length of an unworn pushrod? Hughes reckon it's 3.200" but 99% on Moparts say it's 3.242" :icon_scratch:

Any thoughts?

Just replaced my Mancini with the extra-hardened from Hughes last night. Just because it's harder doesn't mean it'll bite into the cam and cause wear. On the contrary: Less hardening can initiate a wear pattern that will transfer to cam wear. For $22, it's cheap insurance. And oh yes, be sure to add ZDDP to your oil.

What you have is most likely a cast iron cam billet and cast iron is pretty abrasive, so the push rod must be hardened to deal with riding on the cam. I don't know the actual length of the push rod but from the two numbers you listed the difference is .042" and that's nothing when dealing with a fuel pump.

Thanks for the answers guys, and apologies for my delayed response. I was away for a week or so after posting that question and have just got back on here to catch up...

You're right tho, we havent got as much wear yet as I've read about some others having, but we'll go for a new Hughes item while we've got the pump off.
If we can get them to our reply to emails.... :eusa_wall:

Here's a tip when you install the fuel pump pushrod while the fuel pump is out. Coat it with STP or some other kind of really thick lube that is compatible with engine oil. That way you can push it all the way against the cam and it won't slide back out while you put the fuel pump in. :headbang:

Thanks Greg, yes we learned the hard way! But that's another story that I'll come to in our Polara thread, when I get a few mins... :head_smack:

Auto Transport Service
Back