• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Sender and Gauge issue solved!!!

pettyreplica

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
I wanted share this wonderful piece of electronics with everyone. One of the challenge on working on a old car, is the parts usually being made today, cover a wide variety of cars, usually made overseas, and those who sell them, say yes it should work in your car. After going through 3 fuel sender units, all with different ohms, hooking it up to the SW fuel gauge, I was not getting an accurate reading and the more I read, the more I heard, everyone has this problem, unless you get real lucky and find a match. Well worry no more. Speedway Motors, has a fuel gauge interface module, that works with all senders and gauges. I had to set mine to GM 65 and newer and it worked great. It is guaranteed to work with all senders and gauges. Its well worth the $100 and the tech support is immediate. Here is the item -

Last edited:
I wanted share this wonderful piece of electronics with everyone. One of the challenge on working on a old car, is the parts usually being made today, cover a wide variety of cars, usually made overseas, and those who sell them, say yes it should work in your car. After going through 3 fuel sender units, all with different ohms, hooking it up to the SW fuel gauge, I was not getting an accurate reading and the more I read, the more I heard, everyone has this problem, unless you get real lucky and find a match. Well worry no more. Speedway Motors, has a fuel gauge interface module, that works with all senders and gauges. I have to set mine to GM 65 and newer and it worked great. Its well worth the $100 and the tech support is immediate. Here is the item -

thanks for sharing,very helpful to all of us. thanks

I talked in great lengths to the tech at Classic industries who makes these. He expecitely told me these devises are for mismatched sending units and gauges. They are not meant to repair or make right a defective sending unit or bad gauge. Case in point is my car. I installed a brand new NOS sending unit, it was expensive. My gauge now works but it is 1/4 tank off. After many hours and discussions the consensus is the fuel gage itself is off.
I tried to solve the problem by using this devise and it did not work. I called the company and while the tech rep was great we could not get it to work after close to a hour on the phone
If you have the proper voltage going to the gauge, a good gauge and a good sending unit, ground, it should work.

If you have the proper voltage going to the gauge, a good gauge and a good sending unit, ground, it should work.

I agree with Steve. From what I have read, the Meter Match type units are more commonly used by hot rodders that are using a gauge out of one vehicle and the sender out of another, but I still wanted to offer it as an option if people are having major resistance issues. If you are using a gauge that has a resistance range of 10-80 ohms, and a sender that has the same resistance range, it should work, providing you are getting the correct voltage to the gauge. Voltage DOES affect how the gauge reads.

Another way to make slight tweaks to how the gauge works is if the gauge is reading high, wire in a resistor in-line with the sender wire. I had that issue with my truck. The gauge was reading high temperature, but the actual temp was normal. I checked resistance at the sender and it was reading lower ohms than it should at normal operating temperature. I wired in a 10 ohm resistor into the line and brought the needle back down to the middle position. If the resistance would have been reading high, there really isn't a way to reduce resistance of a sender, so the Meter Match may be an option to at least try.

Well let me answer a few comments - The link is to the video. It was there yesterday, but if you goggle speedway motors fuel gauge interface module on youtube, you can see it.

I am not familiar with the other 2 mentioned, and classic industries, does not make this one. This one works

On a gauge, not calibrated right, this one, fixes that. I did not follow the directions and had to call in and though the directions, are very clear and detailed, they do not mention, you have to calibrate the gauge. So if your gauge is not reading full or all the way empty, this will fix that as well. It is a thing of beauty, so this is the speedway motors one, not others that seem to not work, this one works, beautifully. And when I called in, 2 minutes is all it took.

Well let me answer a few comments - The link is to the video. It was there yesterday, but if you goggle speedway motors fuel gauge interface module on youtube, you can see it.

I am not familiar with the other 2 mentioned, and classic industries, does not make this one. This one works

On a gauge, not calibrated right, this one, fixes that. I did not follow the directions and had to call in and though the directions, are very clear and detailed, they do not mention, you have to calibrate the gauge. So if your gauge is not reading full or all the way empty, this will fix that as well. It is a thing of beauty, so this is the speedway motors one, not others that seem to not work, this one works, beautifully. And when I called in, 2 minutes is all it took.

Auto Transport Service
Back