• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

funny thing happened on the way home from cruise night

Vanderstel

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
I had just finished a low and slow drive down Grand in Escondido CA. Opening of Crusin Grand. Anyway, the temp went up a little nothing to worry about.

On the way home I decided to open it up a little, so when it was safe, I stepped into it.

As the revs built, it sounded like it was popping through the carb? I've not had this happen before.

I've got a Edelbrock 650 on top of a Performer intake on my rebuilt 1967 318 with full length headers.

I haven't touched carburation or timing in over a year, I did just replace my fuel pump and filter.

Any suggestions?

Bad new fuel pump? Happened to me on my van, new chinisium fuel pump.

Lean is certainly a possibility.. But not the only possibility... What happens if you rap the throttle sharply in neutral?

Popping up through the carburetor...?
This will suck if I'm right.
That could be a failing cam or lifters. When an exhaust lobe is failing, the exhaust has less of a clear path out so it finds a way somewhere. I've had this happen. When cruising, cylinder pressure is lower so the lower lift on a failing exhaust lobe still allows enough of a path for the exhaust to escape. When you're harder on the throttle, there is more pressure. Exhaust then exits both the exhaust valve and the intake during overlap.
I hope for your sake that I am wrong.
Are you hearing any increase in valvetrain clatter? Loose pushrods when you're on the lobes base circle would indicate a problem.

Popping up through the carburetor...?
This will suck if I'm right.
That could be a failing cam or lifters. When an exhaust lobe is failing, the exhaust has less of a clear path out so it finds a way somewhere. I've had this happen. When cruising, cylinder pressure is lower so the lower lift on a failing exhaust lobe still allows enough of a path for the exhaust to escape. When you're harder on the throttle, there is more pressure. Exhaust then exits both the exhaust valve and the intake during overlap.
I hope for your sake that I am wrong.
Are you hearing any increase in valvetrain clatter? Loose pushrods when you're on the lobes base circle would indicate a problem.
Hence my question, what happens if you rap the throttle in neutral..

Can be as simple as fouled plug or plugs....I've had that. Sounds like you're shooting ducks as you drive along.

Start with the easy stuff first.

No point tearing down the carburettor when it might be as simple as a loose plug wire - or bad plug.

When I replaced my fuel pump I also replace my fuel filter. I realized the filter was 1/4" not 3/16". I now have 3/16" filter and I replaced all spark plugs. To make sure I didn't have any internal mechanical problems I did a compression check and I'm pretty much running 150 lbs all the way around.

Runs fine now. I wonder if I was getting fuel starvation with the 1/4" filter?

When I replaced my fuel pump I also replace my fuel filter. I realized the filter was 1/4" not 3/16". I now have 3/16" filter and I replaced all spark plugs. To make sure I didn't have any internal mechanical problems I did a compression check and I'm pretty much running 150 lbs all the way around.

If the plugs you replaced were fouled ck. the lbs of pressure your new fuel pump is putting out. Edelbrock advises to keep it at 6 lbs or under a little.
If your problem showed up after the pump change you may foul another set of plugs.

3/16" is smaller than 1/4".
Did you mean 5/16" ?

What kind of ignition does it have ?
if it still is points
the condenser, is my 1st suspect
the coil taking a dump & or burnt points also could be in play
where you parked with the ignition on for a period of time ?
might have nothing to do with the carb
or the ignition

valve, plugs, bad gas/water, sucking air/vacuum leak,
vacuum hose or cap somewhere, orange crud in the dist. cap/cracked cap
(bad rotor or cap) etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back