• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear Oil for a 68 Plymouth GTX

BumperMan

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of gear oil I need to use for the rear end of a 1968 Plymouth GTX with a Dana 60 in it? I have looked in the owners manual cause that is were everyone told me to look at and I can find anything referring to Gear Oil.

Thanks in Advance

Thats why I have and I run Royal Purple 90 weight synthetic. If you have any doubts call Royal Purple.

If it has a clutch plate type posi you want a Limited Slip oil. 85W/90 is good. If your running a Tall gear and twisting it I would run 95W/140. I use Synthetic in my rear from Lucas. One of the Best I have found ! Made for Tractor and trailers so you know it will hold up and last !

Thanks guys for the quick response, how much do you guys normally put in it?

Till it runs out the plug hole . about 2.1/2 pints on a 60

I just replaced the outer axle bearings on my 68 GTX with Dana 60, 3.54 gears and changed fluid in diff. I put the Castrol 80/90 with Limited Slip additive in it for $8 per qt. vs the Royal Purple for $21 per qt., thinking I will change again in about 500 mi to flush. May go back with RP, but I will have to be convinced it is worth it.
As stated before, it held 2 1/2 qts.

Barry
68 GTX
87 Buick GN

I run Royal Purple in all my vehicles. Expensive but have had excellent results. I also run Evans waterless coolant too. Excellent stuff and won't corrode.

How much is it to replace with the Evans waterless coolant? I know the system needs to be completely flushed out.

Evans is about 40 dollars a gallon. You must flush with water first and then get all the water out possible. They make an additive to get rid of the last bit of water. You will need to drill a small hole in the radiator cap to vent the last bit of water vaporizing out after startup. I run it in my diesel with great results. Coolant is zero pressure.

How much is it to replace with the Evans waterless coolant? I know the system needs to be completely flushed out.

I'm researching Evans Waterless and there are lots of good videos on their website. To change my glycol fluid I need 3 gallons of the Evans product plus one container of prep. Consider the Canadian website for Evans as they deal in Canadian dollars which will save you 25% and free shipping. Do the math before to make sure its a deal.

In the videos they mention to take the hoses off the engine and use air to blow out any water, then use the prep. Seems like allot of work but I'm still considering it.

Auto Transport Service
Back