• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guns Getting Worse Than Cars!

Bruzilla

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
I went to a gun show in Jacksonville yesterday with a simple mission. Since I bought a second Smith & Wesson Model 19, I wanted to trade my older Model 19 in on a nice Colt M1911A1 to replace the one I foolishly sold this Spring. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent M1911A1.

Boy, was I wrong! All I saw was table after table after table of crap striker pistols. I think there were about 1,000 Glocks everywhere. There were pink and baby blue imported pieces of crap everywhere, and tshirt and miscellaneous crap vendors galore. I think there were maybe 20 actual gun dealers out of about 80 or so dealers, and most of the gun dealers were selling imported junk. It was like going to that car show that's supposed to be all classics and seeing two old cars and a bunch of newer import crap.

Worse, there was barely a M1911A1 to be found. I found a crappy imported Chinese clone gun that some dude was asking $500 for, which is twice what it's worth. I found a nice Rock Island Armory model, but it was a 9mm, which wouldn't do. I finally found a Colt Series 80 M1911A1, but it was new and priced accordingly. I ended up making a deal for it and bringing it home, but I paid more than I had hoped when I walked in there.

Damn shame that in the US of A you can't find a decent deal on a pistol that's come to represent the country!

I bought a Dan Wesson 1911 when they first came out, I like it very much. I agree with what you said about the gun shows. I bought a Colt Trooper MK3 a couple years ago because every gun guy should have at least 1 colt, 1 Winchester, & one S&W. Now if only my Winchester was a 96, and my colt was a Python.

I read some reviews (not too good) of the Rock Island stuff, that they were made in the Philippines. Seems how you know your way around a wrench it is easier to buy pieces and build what you want and cheaper too.

I went to a gun show in Jacksonville yesterday with a simple mission. Since I bought a second Smith & Wesson Model 19, I wanted to trade my older Model 19 in on a nice Colt M1911A1 to replace the one I foolishly sold this Spring. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent M1911A1.

Boy, was I wrong! All I saw was table after table after table of crap striker pistols. I think there were about 1,000 Glocks everywhere. There were pink and baby blue imported pieces of crap everywhere, and tshirt and miscellaneous crap vendors galore. I think there were maybe 20 actual gun dealers out of about 80 or so dealers, and most of the gun dealers were selling imported junk. It was like going to that car show that's supposed to be all classics and seeing two old cars and a bunch of newer import crap.

Worse, there was barely a M1911A1 to be found. I found a crappy imported Chinese clone gun that some dude was asking $500 for, which is twice what it's worth. I found a nice Rock Island Armory model, but it was a 9mm, which wouldn't do. I finally found a Colt Series 80 M1911A1, but it was new and priced accordingly. I ended up making a deal for it and bringing it home, but I paid more than I had hoped when I walked in there.

Damn shame that in the US of A you can't find a decent deal on a pistol that's come to represent the country!

At least you still have gun shows !!!!! None here in NJ. I used to go to a few in upstate NY. Those ended with the SAFE act. And the shows in PA won't sell to me because I'm a NJ resident, even though I have a NJ Firearms ID card (required in NJ to by rifles and shotguns). Don't even get me started on pistols. :mad::mad::mad:

At least you still have gun shows !!!!! None here in NJ. I used to go to a few in upstate NY. Those ended with the SAFE act. And the shows in PA won't sell to me because I'm a NJ resident, even though I have a NJ Firearms ID card (required in NJ to by rifles and shotguns). Don't even get me started on pistols. :mad::mad::mad:
Man, I'd have to move from there!!

gun.deals (to buy)
&
Floridaguntrader.com (to sell)

Thank me later.

Just a thought Bru, check out pawn shops?

Did you see the prices they are asking for these? Its insane. In the article I read they were targeting 900-1200. You can get a far nicer 1911 than these banged up mil-specs for that kind of money.
These pistols are more a collectible because of genuine military service, with paper corroborated by CMP. I already have $$$ allocated for one of them.

Things have evolved a bunch since the 1911. I have a couple as collectibles.....not users.

Agree but nothing has a better trigger than a 1911 IMHO, or a bigger hole in the business end. Plus if you run out of bullets you have a pretty heavy hammer to use.

At least you still have gun shows !!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, well we had the Reno show canx last weekend because of what happened in Vegas, but yet another producer had a show the week before, go fig?

Yeah, well we had the Reno show canx last weekend because of what happened in Vegas, but yet another producer had a show the week before, go fig?
Well he was just going with the flow of things, those Reno shows always had pretty good attendance from what I've seen. Plus some 'over the top' guns. Like Mel Torme's from years ago. Whoops , showing my age!

Well he was just going with the flow of things, those Reno shows always had pretty good attendance from what I've seen. Plus some 'over the top' guns. Like Mel Torme's from years ago. Whoops , showing my age!

Most of us are showing their age just by being BBody owners and participating on this site.:)

Yep, if you want a real one that's stamped "United States Property", you're gonna pay a premium for it. They've gone from almost surplus to highly collectible. A four figure gun, easy.
Of course, every company on Gods' green earth makes a replica and some (like Kimber) have even improved on it, but again - $$$$.

I'd like an original 1911 to add to my dozen or so bangers, sure. Not so much any of the legions of clones out there, even though some are mechanically superior. I, and a lot of folks who actually know these things, don't believe in the round, at least enough to pony up big bucks for a pistol just because it's a 45ACP.
I'd like an original for the history and nostalgia of it.

For everyday protection and for plinking fun, any of a number of calibers are superior to the 45ACP - not to mention, cheaper to stock up on ammo for.
Any of a number of striker-fired pistols have better performance and much better triggers, if you stick to the better ones.
Love me some .357magnum revolvers, too.
Heck, I like most any of 'em, short of cheap imports and that High Point crap.

Gun shows have been crap for years. Prices are almost always at msrp or higher and decent used guns are priced up with new ones. Even ammo and accessories are overpriced.
I love the 1911 and have built 2 and bought 2. The s.s. Caspian I built is carried regularly. Commander slide on officer frame, very comfortable. And as for the CMP 1911's, they will disappear quickly at $1k each and I wouldn't be surprised if they auction a majority of the rarer ones and get $3k plus for some Singers or USS.

look out

Desert Eagle.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back